Bombers at Riders LDC Early chat

5 hours ago, ShyGuy said:

Also, if the Riders refuse to acknowledge the Banjo Bowl and insist on calling it the Labour Day Rematch, can we start referring to the game on Labour Day as the Banjo Bowl Preview? Maybe the Banjo Bowl Backstory to keep it all Bs?

Agreed! 

Gonna test drive this one.

3 hours ago, Noeller said:

Has there been any word on the big OL we drafted this year that was not expected to ever play in the CFL? How's his camp been down south?

Haven't seen any of their pre-season games but sounds like he's showing flashes of potential and the expected mistakes.  

https://bvmsports.com/2024/08/21/giovanni-manu-early-progress-breakdown-as-2024-lions-rookie/

10 minutes ago, ShyGuy said:

Its wild... if you were to tell me at the start of the season going into these games that the Riders were +16 in TOs and the Bombers -8 there would be no way I would guess their records would be 5-5-1 and 5-6.

The back half of this season is going to be insane....

Starting left tackle and our spare/extra olineman who was important to many of our offensive packages on Friday night were both out of the game early. It’s a miracle we did anything on offence that game never mind the great last minute comeback drive. If we get Stanley back and a sixth o olineman for LD we’ll be much more consistent and competitive 👍🏻

18 hours ago, Noeller said:

Has there been any word on the big OL we drafted this year that was not expected to ever play in the CFL? How's his camp been down south?

I read an article about him recently... the (Detroit) Lions view him as a project and was the same when they drafted him... safe to say they'll probably keep him around for at least a couple years... especially since they traded up to get him

10 minutes ago, bearpants said:

I read an article about him recently... the (Detroit) Lions view him as a project and was the same when they drafted him... safe to say they'll probably keep him around for at least a couple years... especially since they traded up to get him

And if he gets let go, someone else will scoop him up. He's not coming north for a good while, if at all.

It’s weird to me that people are claiming nobody could have seen this coming. It’s also weird to me that people are suggesting moving on would’ve been an unprecedented move. 

does anyone saying that pay attention to the NFL? Green Bay just did exactly what we’re discussing, moving on from Aaron Rodgers to give Jordan Love the team. 

it was easy to see it coming, it was a tough decision then but we needed to make it and we didn’t

like I’ve said before, this line of thinking would’ve cost us Brady Oliveira

1 minute ago, Mike said:

It’s weird to me that people are claiming nobody could have seen this coming. It’s also weird to me that people are suggesting moving on would’ve been an unprecedented move. 

does anyone saying that pay attention to the NFL? Green Bay just did exactly what we’re discussing, moving on from Aaron Rodgers to give Jordan Love the team. 

it was easy to see it coming, it was a tough decision then but we needed to make it and we didn’t

Our roster construction made all our problems worse. We moved on from grant and Bailey with out existing in house replacements. We moved on from hardrick and brought in an army of guards. 

Zach hasn’t been good in any play off games here. Adequate a few times but never close to a mop level performer. 
 Zach is 36, there is no world where you can expect the best performance in the clutch at that point. 
 He also struggled hard multiple times for extended stretches last year. About two solid month long slides of playing really bad. Now he’s had one good game since week 18 of last year. 

20 minutes ago, Mike said:

I don't disagree with the overall point but I'm not sure the Aaron Rodgers comparison is totally apt. Rodgers was coming off arguably the worst season of his career and his relationship with GB management had been strained, at best, for a year or more.

Zach actually had a pretty good start to 2023 and statistically it was one of the top 3 seasons of his career. And the Bombers management have a great relationship with Collaros. He just fell off hard in the final third of the season which has continued into this year.

But you're right - many people wanted to move on to Dru Brown from Collaros. That is not hindsight. It would have been an incredibly bold move to get rid of Collaros. But ultimately probably the right move.

20 minutes ago, Mike said:

Exactly. Everyone could see we saw the best of Zach. hes 36 years old and not going to be getting any better. In fact there was a noticeable decrease in his level of play last season and he wasn’t good enough when it mattered for the last two grey cups. Dru is a decade younger and was outstanding with the same weapons Zach had and although it remains to be seen if he could do it over 18 games, there’s a lot of room for growth in his game. I said for the last two seasons he has a pro Arm. He can make those deep out throws and his decision making was something he could work on but last season his decision making was noticeably better than the season prior. The level of growth from Dru led me to believe that even if this season was a wash, by the time we host in 2025 we’d be getting Dru at his prime, and room with our cap situation to make some big moves.