Bombers at Riders LDC Early chat

9 hours ago, K-Shack said:

Or earlier than that, from Favre to Rodgers in the first place, or even earlier, from Montana to Young.

Plus it wouldn't even be Collaros vs Brown, but rather Collaros + the fifth round pick we got for Brown vs. Brown + the asset we would get for Collaros (and I assume more than a 5th round pick) + the cap space to sign another impact player. 

For sure. We could go on forever. The Patriots nearly went back to Drew Bledsoe for their first SB.

Even Mahomes wasn’t a sure thing, he sat behind Alex Smith for a year before KC traded the latter. (Actually the second time that happened to Smith in his career but I digress) 

You don’t even have to go to the NFL for an example. 
Henry Burris was let go by the Ticats after a cup appearance to make room for Collaros himself (who was less proven than Dru Brown at that point in his career) 

Edited by JohnnyAbonny

1 hour ago, JohnnyAbonny said:

Depends on what you consider the modern era I guess. 
Tom Burgess and Sean Salisbury could be argued as equal or worse to how Collaros has played this year. 

For sure worse imo, but not current era. Ol were regularly under 300 lbs, teams used a lot of pro form two back type sets, sams were still lbers etc. game has changed a lot since then. 

7 minutes ago, blue85gold said:

So we've got Wallace off, Feltmate off. 

Schmeck on, Woli on.

??? American off and Vanderpool on maybe. That where we're at?

If MCI is good to go....not sure why he doesnt go in for Schmeck and his un-evetfull 5 reps a game...and minimal work on teams

and with Woli back...Clercius a key cog.....cant see why Johnson doesnt come off for Vanterpool as you still have them same amount of receivers...just one is Canadian instead of American, so should be right up Osh's alley...keeping our best defensive lineman all on roster....but alas....Osh is gonna Osh...Scmeck will stand around most the game...Thomas will get continually exposed...as it filters into Gauthier who also will get exposed as the MLB in some schemes......why deviate from the script right?

Edited by Booch

10 minutes ago, Booch said:

If MCI is good to go....not sure why he doesnt go in for Schmeck and his un-evetfull 5 reps a game...and minimal work on teams

and with Woli back...Clercius a key cog.....cant see why Johnson doesnt come off for Vanterpool as you still have them same amount of receivers...just one is Canadian instead of American, so should be right up Osh's alley...keeping our best defensive lineman all on roster....but alas....Osh is gonna Osh...Scmeck will stand around most the game...Thomas will get continually exposed...as it filters into Gauthier who also will get exposed as the MLB in some schemes......why deviate from the script right?

I also wouldn't be surprised if Vanterpool doesn't come on at all. If Big Stan is A-OK then maybe they just role with 6 Olinemen. I still like my idea of Adams coming in as the second TE to f*ck **** up.

Does MCI still have some time left on the 6-game? Totally agree it would make more sense to get him on over Schmeck.

1 minute ago, blue85gold said:

I also wouldn't be surprised if Vanterpool doesn't come on at all. If Big Stan is A-OK then maybe they just role with 6 Olinemen. I still like my idea of Adams coming in as the second TE to f*ck **** up.

Does MCI still have some time left on the 6-game? Totally agree it would make more sense to get him on over Schmeck.

I 100 percent expect Stan in...and yeah we may just roll with 6 guys as Clercius has done a killer job in the run game, and Woli back too is huge for that so that 7th ol guy really is a minimal need...especially when only option is an import who steals talent that would see lotsa reps on defense...a big athletic guy like Adams would be a nice piece in the jumbo set...totally agree

12 minutes ago, blue85gold said:

Given Stan's recent health, I am dressing Vanterpool as a precautionary measure and I think it is 100% the smart thing to do in this situation. Normally I would agree with Booch and suggest that dressing Vanterpool is not necessary. However, this week I think it is better safe than sorry. We need to make sure Stan is insulated because we can't risk losing him long term because we didn't have the foresight to be able to sit him down, even just to hydrate, if the effects of last week are lingering.

12 hours ago, K-Shack said:

Or earlier than that, from Favre to Rodgers in the first place, or even earlier, from Montana to Young.

Plus it wouldn't even be Collaros vs Brown, but rather Collaros + the fifth round pick we got for Brown vs. Brown + the asset we would get for Collaros (and I assume more than a 5th round pick) + the cap space to sign another impact player. 

Again though....none of the above were traded....just not re-signed

1 minute ago, blue85gold said:

Biggest difference now is that the 7th OL has to be American. Harder to make the roster work that way.

yup...It basically is robbing Peter to pay Paul....and all things considered Peter gives us more value than Paul

Peter is probably Adams....Paul being Vanterpool...if thats where we go....Still think that the smart move is to remove Johnson for Vanterpool if Woli is back and leave the dline intact.

I wanna see what the big guy has on the oline so hopefully thats what we do...Johnson has played 8 games...has 18 grabs for 138 yards...pretty sure we be just fine with whatever a combo of Woli/Clercius gives us there, and with the right passport to allow us to make our defence stronger

Edited by Booch

12 hours ago, K-Shack said:

Brett Favre actually told the Packers that he was retiring, and then decided to come back... and then backed out There had been rumours of him retiring as early as 2005. There was no indication I think that Favre was going to play in Green Bay again, but other than that probably the closest fit... they were 13-3, made it to the NFC Championship, he made the Pro Bowl and was 2nd team all-Pro.

Montana to Young... Montana was severely injured for almost 2 years and in the meantime Steve Young took the reins.

And again... the Rodgers to Love thing, Rodgers had probably his worst season as a pro and had all kinds of baggage going on. I am actually starting to see a bit of a trend here and eagerly await what kind of villainy Love gets up to in 10 years time.

I think Weitz comes off. That 2nd global is at the expense of another Canadian.

Interesting / fair point about whether they consider adding another import OL. Unless they'd plan to start him in front of Eli, I don't think they do that. My expectation is that Thomas gets a few reps on the OL this week as the 7th OL.

Bryant is almost a lock to be back after a week of not feeling well with flu/cold etc.

4 minutes ago, Arnold_Palmer said:

I would feel very uncomfortable with Thomas as our seventh o-line. 

Why. He’s not getting many reps there. They also said he was next man up last game. 

Edited by Goalie

2 hours ago, wbbfan said:

For sure worse imo, but not current era. Ol were regularly under 300 lbs, teams used a lot of pro form two back type sets, sams were still lbers etc. game has changed a lot since then. 

That’s a fair point. I’d have to agree, modern/current era is like 05ish-now. 

2 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

If Woli is back, take Johnson off and add Vanterpool at OL as others have said. Woli then is essentially coming on for Wallace and Vanterpool replaces Johnson. You keep your 7 OL, you keep the same # of Wrs and you keep the Dline intact.

'intact'.....'continuity'....are words that Osh just likes to work around

59 minutes ago, Goalie said:

Why not move Thomas to the oline. Make him the 7th and keep Adams in. 

I agree...Backup to the oline...and to the dline in case of injury...perfect....6 snaps or so on offence for double tights and no defensive snaps ....what a perfect world while Wallace is out

33 minutes ago, Arnold_Palmer said:

I would feel very uncomfortable with Thomas as our seventh o-line. 

sole purpose is for the 4-6 snaps a game when we go straight up jumbo...all he can do is push forward...or try to anyway

29 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

If Woli is back, take Johnson off and add Vanterpool at OL as others have said. Woli then is essentially coming on for Wallace and Vanterpool replaces Johnson. You keep your 7 OL, you keep the same # of Wrs and you keep the Dline intact.

yup...be the perfect way to do it....and likely the smartest to enable us to put out our best roster...let's see now what osh does....I have zero faith in him putting out the best roster...as he rarely does, but maybe he surprises

With Wallace out....Feltmate likely out  thats 2 Canadians who need to be added anyway....3 if they choose to sit Weitz too....Obviously Schmeck will be added since he been moved to active...kind of a waste/what for move, or a precursor to the dumb move of pulling Adams and leaving Johnson on..Woli for sure, and be nice to get MCI back on for the global

31 minutes ago, Stickem said:

'intact'.....'continuity'....are words that Osh just likes to work around

well..Adams was in all yr other than the dumb removal in B.C...so that "was" continuity

If they decide to use Vanderpool as the starting RG because he's better than Eli, I'd have no problem. Adding him as a DI or non starter is a little more iffy of a decision. Taking Johnson off as a result is debatable.  He was rotating on offence with Whitehead last couple of games.

Woli would move Clercius to back up but if you remove Johnson that doesn't work in the same way. or as effectively IMO.

I'd rather see Case added again?

Thomas as the 7 OL in emergencies or jumbo is not the worst idea. It really depends on what the difference is between Eli and Vanderpool starting.

Edited by Blue In BC

3 minutes ago, Blue In BC said:

If they decide to use Vanderpool as the starting RG because he's better than Eli, I'd have no problem. Adding him as a DI or non starter is a little more iffy of a decision. Taking Johnson off as a result is debatable.  He was rotating on offence with Whitehead last couple of games.

Woli would move Clercius to back up but if you remove Johnson that doesn't work in the same way. or as effectively IMO.

I'd rather see Case added again?

Thomas as the 7 OL in emergencies or jumbo is not the worst idea. It really depends on what the difference is between Eli and Vanderpool starting.

Randolph will start at RG... Eli as the 6th.