Bombers at Riders LDC Early chat

1 hour ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

The SAM switched to being an every down DB type guy in the 90's.  First real impactful ones in my memory was a guy named Darryl Hall who played for Calgary under Buono in a couple stints and Don Wilson who played for Edmonton (Stubler D) and Toronto (Matthews in mid-90's).

Bombers basically played a 3-4 until Cal Murphy got fired.  They'd run a dime back in for a linebacker.

First real SAM we had was Mo Kelly with Reinebold.

In the Bomber Blitz 1990 tape I used to have, they talked a lot about a specific package they ran where Greg Battle dropped back to FS and they used the safety Dave Bovell closer to the line. 

I kind of remember another guy from the earlier 90s named Donovan Wright for BC who was something like that too? 

Also, I forgot Mo Kelly was here in Reinebold’s last year, I always think of him as a Ritchie guy. I just looked it up, he had a pretty long career. Started with Las Vegas Posse. 

15 hours ago, Colin Unger said:

how does he quality with only 2 games played?

0-2 record in the month of August. Says it all. Trevor has throughout his career been the beneficiary of garbage time padding of stats. He is a loser but plays well once defeated. I just don't understand the attraction teams have to this guy. He got completely ruined in Edmonton and clearly develops PTSD every game after he is hit. He is the modern day Kevin Glenn. Hit him once and then enjoy the victory afterwards.

Edited by GCn20

7 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

I believe he won a GC with ottawa

Ya I edited my post after checking. Still tells you all you need to know. Backups both times. Trevor Harris a great back up QB … well he used to be almost 10 years ago. As a starter, not so good. 🤪

Edited by IC Khari

9 minutes ago, IC Khari said:

Hard to believe the guy has won two cups with Toronto and one with Ottawa, but he wasn’t the starter in either …

At one time, many moons ago, Harris was a very good QB. His time in Edmonton absolutely wrecked him though. The guy hears footsteps on every play now.

Harris has 2 Grey Cups but both as a backup. 

He is 3-5 in playoff games as a starter and holds the record for single playoff game completion percentage, which he set twice - first against the Ticats in the 2018 East Final and then again against the Alouettes in the 2019 East Semi Final. He took the Als to the Grey Cup in 2018 but lost to the Stampeders.

His last playoff appearance was 2022 when he was with Montreal and won the East Semi Final against the Ticats before losing to the Argos in the East Final.

Edited by Atomic

puts up stats in garbage time...great moving the chains between the 25's....horrible at finishing drives....and thats not recent...thats career....and not a guy who can single handedly pull a team to a win....I think mentally weak too...and 38....good luck with that Sask

10 minutes ago, Mark H. said:

Which was quarterbacked by a 41 year old Henry Burris - came back to the line up late in the season - IIRC

Came back minutes before the game... He wasn't supposed to start the GC that year. Can't remember what happened but Harris sick or injured at the last minute so Burris has to step in and he pouted and whined in the pre game interview "WHAT MORE DO I HAVE TO DO?!?" was the line I remember so well....

Edited by Noeller

1 hour ago, GCn20 said:

At one time, many moons ago, Harris was a very good QB. His time in Edmonton absolutely wrecked him though. The guy hears footsteps on every play now.

All the more reason I hope we don’t take Adams off the AR.  I want all hands on deck to make Harris’ life miserable every time he drops back to pass.

24 minutes ago, BomberBall. said:

All the more reason I hope we don’t take Adams off the AR.  I want all hands on deck to make Harris’ life miserable every time he drops back to pass.

I like Adams a lot, but we will get our pressure whether he plays or not. Our best defensive effort of the year both on the DL and overall against BC was without him in the lineup. Are we better with him? Certainly. Are we capable of playing great defence without him...absolutely.

1 minute ago, GCn20 said:

I like Adams a lot, but we will get our pressure whether he plays or not. Our best defensive effort of the year both on the DL and overall against BC was without him in the lineup. Are we better with him? Certainly. Are we capable of playing great defence without him...absolutely.

Should we be in habit of fielding our best, most rounded/versatile lineup  game in and game out regardless of tenure...passport or personal bias...most definitely without a doubt and no questions asked....but we dont...Previous yrs it didnt hurt us as much as our top line guys were top line...several are not anymore...and its caused the hole we are...or were in

1 hour ago, Noeller said:

Came back minutes before the game... He wasn't supposed to start the GC that year. Can't remember what happened but Harris sick or injured at the last minute so Burris has to step in and he pouted and whined in the pre game interview "WHAT MORE DO I HAVE TO DO?!?" was the line I remember so well....

No it was even worse than that... "how much more do I have to endure?"

1 hour ago, Booch said:

Should we be in habit of fielding our best, most rounded/versatile lineup  game in and game out regardless of tenure...passport or personal bias...most definitely without a doubt and no questions asked....but we dont...Previous yrs it didnt hurt us as much as our top line guys were top line...several are not anymore...and its caused the hole we are...or were in

Of course we should play our best lineup. However, I am confident in our ability to play without Adams. Would I like him there....sure...if we don't have him are we screwed...nope.

1 hour ago, GCn20 said:

They dressed the D-line many wanted against their weakest sister last weekend and they registered one sack and BLM had plenty of time to throw the ball.  Is the Ti-Cats O-line all of a sudden good?

1 hour ago, GCn20 said:

Our best game for QB pressures this season was home vs BC

DL was Garbutt, Schmekel, Thomas, Adams, Woods, Jefferson.

At BC we killed them with coverage, often dropping 9, very rare we didn't drop out less than 8 in that game.

To me, Haba is the luxury.  Easy to cover that edge rush with the extra backers and we run a ton of 30 fronts anyways.  Adams being on over him is obvious based on the strengths of our current scheme and Haba not being that impactful of a rusher.

Edited by JuranBoldenRules

Just now, JuranBoldenRules said:

Our best game for QB pressures this season was home vs BC

DL was Garbutt, Schmekel, Thomas, Adams, Woods, Jefferson.

At BC we killed them with coverage, often dropping 9, very rare we didn't drop out less than 8 in that game.

We were able to drop 9 because we were getting consistent pressure with a 3 man front. That was without Adams.

We were able to drop 9 because we were getting consistent pressure with a 3 man front. That was without Adams.

yes and no. The coverage is what allowed the pressure to happen. Which is generally backwards from how it happens. Usually your Dline makes your DBs look good. That has kinda flipped with this Defence. Adams often had time to throw the ball but because the coverage was so good the pocket eventually collapsed.

1 minute ago, Fatty Liver said:

They dressed the D-line many wanted against their weakest sister last weekend and they registered one sack and BLM had plenty of time to throw the ball.  Is the Ti-Cats O-line all of a sudden good?

Hamilton's OL is average at best. Having Adams in the lineup was a non-factor and sometimes that's how it rolls. I think we get caught up in the minutae around here sometimes about how impactful one person can be in a DL rotation. It's helpful but not a game changer.

Disagree.  They had a scheme to let Rourke rot back there by taking away his pre-snap (first) reads with multiple coverage looks and changing looks right off the snap.

There was hardly any pressure.  There were some coverage sacks.

Pressure wasn't key to that game plan.  But you can't play that scheme repeatedly and against QB's like BLM and Harris.  You need to move them.