Bombers at Riders LDC Early chat

4 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

yes and no. The coverage is what allowed the pressure to happen. Which is generally backwards from how it happens. Usually your Dline makes your DBs look good. That has kinda flipped with this Defence. Adams often had time to throw the ball but because the coverage was so good the pocket eventually collapsed.

We were getting nice pressure on him. Were we getting coverage help absolutely. However, at the end of the day we were making life miserable for him with a 3 man front for a lot of the game.

3 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Disagree.  They had a scheme to let Rourke rot back there by taking away his pre-snap (first) reads with multiple coverage looks and changing looks right off the snap.

There was hardly any pressure.  There were some coverage sacks.

Pressure wasn't key to that game plan.  But you can't play that scheme repeatedly and against QB's like BLM and Harris.  You need to move them.

Was talking about the donut against Adams. We played Rourke exactly as we should have but not the same as Adams. Against Rourke it was like we almost wanted to give him time to throw knowing he would be completely out of sync with his receivers anyway.

Edited by GCn20

2 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

We were getting nice pressure on him. Were we getting coverage help absolutely. However, at the end of the day we were making life miserable for him with a 3 man front for a lot of the game.

Was talking about the donut against Adams. We played Rourke exactly as we should have but not the same as Adams.

Our Adams played in the game in Winnipeg.

4 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Our Adams played in the game in Winnipeg.

Oops, my bad....had the games reversed. However, sitting Adams against Rourke makes pretty good sense now in hind sight. I guess that's why we shouldn't over react to roster moves without knowing our teams game plan week in and week out. Pretty obvious that pressure wasn't our priority vs. Rourke and rightfully so. Rourke had one chance to beat us and that is quick hitters and we took that away as you described.

Edited by GCn20

11 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Disagree.  They had a scheme to let Rourke rot back there by taking away his pre-snap (first) reads with multiple coverage looks and changing looks right off the snap.

There was hardly any pressure.  There were some coverage sacks.

Pressure wasn't key to that game plan.  But you can't play that scheme repeatedly and against QB's like BLM and Harris.  You need to move them.

Yup get in his kitchen quick. Don't let him become comfy.

3 minutes ago, HardCoreBlue said:

Yup get in his kitchen quick. Don't let him become comfy.

Harris you need to hit him early then just let him spray balls all over the field when he hears the footsteps after that. Early in his career Harris would stand in and deliver, now he panics.

Edited by GCn20

1 hour ago, GCn20 said:

Harris you need to hit him early then just let him spray balls all over the field when he hears the footsteps after that. Early in his career Harris would stand in and deliver, now he panics.

ditto for Bo and Zach..though Zach isnt as bad as the other 2

4 hours ago, HardCoreBlue said:

Yup that's why it would be nice if Zach could mimic in some way what Anthony Calvillo did so good and get that ball out quick to his receivers.

He's getting better as an adjustment to our group of receivers minus Schoen.

I just don't understand why basically every receiver we brought in this year was 6' 180 lbs except for a couple.

Collaros loves vertical.  We need catch radius guys like Lawler, Schoen, Wolitarsky style even.

18 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

I just don't understand why basically every receiver we brought in this year was 6' 180 lbs except for a couple.

Collaros loves vertical.  We need catch radius guys like Lawler, Schoen, Wolitarsky style even.

They’re easier to find and recruit. Most of the tall fast ones with good hands are down south …

2 hours ago, IC Khari said:

They’re easier to find and recruit. Most of the tall fast ones with good hands are down south …

Most of our big guys are pretty fringe in the speed tool. High 4.5- high 4.6. 

1 hour ago, Fatty Liver said:

Sask. has done a good job drafting receivers of those dimensions.

The size yeah. They pretty much draft all the big WRs with no wheels. Fits their system well enough. 

16 hours ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

In fairness, Wilson seems to be that type of receiver as well.

2 hours ago, GCn20 said:

In fairness, Wilson seems to be that type of receiver as well.

He isn't.  He can adjust to deep balls but generally needs a very accurate ball to have a shot.  Haven't really seen him take a lot of contested balls aside from the Calgary game when he went off.  He needs space.  I'm talking about guys who have range and can get the ball covered or not.

38 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

He isn't.  He can adjust to deep balls but generally needs a very accurate ball to have a shot.  Haven't really seen him take a lot of contested balls aside from the Calgary game when he went off.  He needs space.  I'm talking about guys who have range and can get the ball covered or not.

So who does the Riders have that qualifies as such? Big guys does not equate to winning contested balls. Lawler is average size and is one of the best in the CFL at it. You don't need to be 6'4. You need to have exceptional concentration, body control, timing, and hands. 

30 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

So who does the Riders have that qualifies as such? Big guys does not equate to winning contested balls. Lawler is average size and is one of the best in the CFL at it. You don't need to be 6'4. You need to have exceptional concentration, body control, timing, and hands. 

6'3 is not exactly average. That's above average. 

3 hours ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Interesting. When his signing was announced, I checked and one of his strengths was listed as fighting for the ball and winning most times. His highlights showed a lot of those types of catches.

21 hours ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Well I don't expect them to run a 4.4.

There's tons of 6'3-6'4 guys up here.

Are there many good ones though? Especially younger? There’s 4 guys over 6’2 in the top 20 receivers this year.
Coxie, McInnis, Rhymes and Shemar Bridges. Besides Bridges, they’ve all been around a while. Everyone else is in the 5’11- 6’1, 175-200lb range.

There’s some NI freaks like Mardner and that kid Edmonton took in the supplemental draft, but I don’t see many really tall American receivers having a lot of success up here since the NFL PR expansion. 

2 hours ago, JohnnyAbonny said:

Are there many good ones though? Especially younger? There’s 4 guys over 6’2 in the top 20 receivers this year.
Coxie, McInnis, Rhymes and Shemar Bridges. Besides Bridges, they’ve all been around a while. Everyone else is in the 5’11- 6’1, 175-200lb range.

There’s some NI freaks like Mardner and that kid Edmonton took in the supplemental draft, but I don’t see many really tall American receivers having a lot of success up here since the NFL PR expansion. 

Who have been our best guys since Collaros has been here?  The guys he seeks out?

Adams, Lawler, Ellingson, Schoen, Wolitarsky, mix in a bit of Bailey.  Then you have the shots to Demski and guys like that.

All 6'1, over 200 lbs.

Once we lost Schoen and Lawler our offense changed significantly without any vertical threat.  And we had 20 American rookie receivers in camp.  I think 3 of the 20 fit the profile of Collaros type targets.  Wheatfall made the team, Alston got brought back.

There's enough guys around to bring in 7-8 guys like that instead of 3 or 4.  But it's pretty easy to tell they were thinking "we have Lawler, Schoen, Wolitarsky" so we're covered and they were very specifically looking for someone like Wilson to fit around those guys so they brought 15 of them to camp.

Edited by JuranBoldenRules