Bombers at Riders LDC-GDT

Nolby

18 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

It's a matter of angle. Nothing to do with Strev. Your OTs have to lock down the edge and not allow an inch of penetration. No QB is gonna get the edge if they get strung out.

Agreed. I'm jut saying that at 30 he may have lost a step. I don't know if he has. Just speculating.

4 hours ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Do you have eyes?

When's the last time the guy made a play?

Watch his running in 2019 or even the Ottawa game compared to right now.  Even on the high ankle sprain in the 19 playoffs he had more explosion.

He's got nothing.

He's either aged 20 years since July or he's injured.

The secondary has also gelled since then, I don’t put it all on him. Early on the holm, ford, Kramdi group all struggled with executing the switch’s. 

that said I think kyrie is well past it. Guy was a beast on his game but just could never stay healthy. He’s a shorter term Jackson Jeffcoat. Except we have much better replacements for kyrie with the smaller package. 
 If any thing we should be looking for the new prototype bigger sam at wil as well. I think that’s the future in the league in general. 

I am putting the blame 100% on the coaches,   Strev walked in and made big time playes (NFL preseason) with his arm.  Enough so that he was being featured and highlighted.   If the guy physically or with his throwing mechanics was so bad he would of been a one week cut like Rourke and 100's of other QB's.   

The guy in his first season with us was running a normal offense and his talent and physical abilities were enough to move the ball.   Let the guy run a normal play set and get him some plays where he can roll out of the pocket and I'm sure things would be much better.     I refuse to believe that Strev is an Alex Brink 2.0 or Jason Boltus,  he's being mis used here and I bet if he were to be traded to another team that he would be doing big time things in this league.   

2 minutes ago, Brandon said:

I am putting the blame 100% on the coaches,   Strev walked in and made big time playes (NFL preseason) with his arm.  Enough so that he was being featured and highlighted.   If the guy physically or with his throwing mechanics was so bad he would of been a one week cut like Rourke and 100's of other QB's.   

The guy in his first season with us was running a normal offense and his talent and physical abilities were enough to move the ball.   Let the guy run a normal play set and get him some plays where he can roll out of the pocket and I'm sure things would be much better.     I refuse to believe that Strev is an Alex Brink 2.0 or Jason Boltus,  he's being mis used here and I bet if he were to be traded to another team that he would be doing big time things in this league.   

He's very badly hurt and pushing through it.  But he's like 60%.

Even on HIS plays he's doing basically nothing.  He can't beat anyone with speed or power right now.

33 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

He's 5 years older & may have lost a step. He's a physical player who has taken his lumps.

He took the lumps vs Ottawa.

And he's been very limited since.  Playing QB, short yardage, run pack, all of it.

1 minute ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Agreed. I'm jut saying that at 30 he may have lost a step. I don't know if he has. Just speculating.

Imo, he’s the easiest guy to game plan a counter for because of his usage. 
 He could run like prime Mike vick, and if the other team knows he’s gonna run when he’s in and it’s the same 3 runs they’re gonna stop him. Which is what we see, every one crashes the box especially on qb movement/ hand off action. 
 Strevy may or may not be physically diminished. He doesn’t have a lot of usage, but has seen some hellacious hits. I’m sure he has some injury right now, but idk if it’s some thing that would stop a regular qb. Also you don’t need to be an elite athlete to be a highly effective runner at qb, with one good leg strevy is twice the athlete Fajardo is. But for a running qb to work you have to have the wrs pulling the secondary back creating gaps and angles on the edge. 

I’m a big believer in running qb offences. The key to their success is running smart with the qb. The qb should be running off tackle out side the box stuff ending with going out at the side line, and misdirection power type stuff that has him being the home run hitter. You can’t pound away with the qb like he’s Brady. Especially when you have a Brady as is. 
 We should be pulling the third level down field with wrs, stretching tackle box guys side line to sideline with jet motion, pulling the gap players inside with Brady, and using strevy in rpo stuff to hit guys in motion with the ball quick and easy or blasting through seams when the D over commits to one area. 

2 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Even on HIS plays he's doing basically nothing.  He can't beat anyone with speed or power right now.

And he's been very limited since.  Playing QB, short yardage, run pack, all of it.

Ott took a lot out of him. That game plan makes sense in a play off game with wind/weather. Not other wise. 
 I don’t think we will know how hurt he is till the off season, when they announce he’s going for some surgery again. 

10 minutes ago, Brandon said:

200.webp

Edited by SpeedFlex27

23 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

The thing is, even if I agreed that you both are correct & our OC  continues to neuter Streveler. So then, the question has to be asked... Just why is Streveler here? If Buck can't design plays to take advantage of his abilities then he's wasting a roster spot. And the development of another qb who could turn out to be another Dru Brown. Buck may not be smart enough to use Streveler the way he should.

Rivers could run every play in the Chargers playbook. I doubt that Streveler can do that here. I think that's the difference.

Wasting roster spots seems to be a thing here tho....so good question...and who knows

I think if they let Strev use the playbook...he would be fine...a QB won't linger around as long as Strev did..especially an undrafted one with no ability to run a playbook

I think we just got so fascinated and overwhelmed with his running ability that's all our coaches see...I've said for a few yrs now I have doubts about some our coaching and how they see and assess talent

13 minutes ago, Brandon said:

Nailed it

Just now, Booch said:

Wasting roster spots seems to be a thing here tho....so good question...and who knows

I think if they let Strev use the playbook...he would be fine...a QB won't linger around as long as Strev did..especially an undrafted one with no ability to run a playbook

I think we just got so fascinated and overwhelmed with his running ability that's all our coaches see...I've said for a few yrs now I have doubts about some our coaching and how they see and assess talent

Buck seemed to be the heir apparent here taking over from Osh whenever he decides to leave. I mean, knowing the Bombers they will promote from within. However, I don't think he's a shoe in to be a HC here anymore. He seems limited in his game planning & adjustments. It really shows with the struggles of Zach Collaros.

1 minute ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Buck seemed to be the heir apparent here taking over from Osh whenever he decides to leave. I mean, knowing the Bombers they will promote from within. However, I don't think he's a shoe in to be a HC here anymore. He seems limited in his game planning & adjustments. It really shows with the struggles of Zach Collaros.

He can't do in game adjustments I don't think...I have never seen it

6 minutes ago, Brandon said:

If he is really hurt then what is Plan B if he and Zach cannot play?    Sign a cast off like  Mason Fine or Taylor Cornelius?

Good question. 

if strevy was really hurt and zach 100% ish I think some cast off like that or another rookie would happen. 
 If zach was a concern and I think he has been nursing an injury all year, I could see them going after some one like masoli. They wanted him for ages. 

15 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

yeah, he had his usual Streveller burst in that Ottawa game ... but since then, he's looked slow. esp when he runs laterally. 

2 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Idk about that. I think he was at one point. But I think he would be in Edmonton next year if they offer him the job. 
 I’ve been seeing mos make more calls on the offence in terms of package than he used to. The move down from the booth after soo long up there I think is a sign too. 
 With the performance of the D this year I think JY is/has/will pass buck. 

2 minutes ago, Booch said:

He can't do in game adjustments I don't think...I have never seen it

It doesn't really matter when you have a team like we had the past 4 years where we dominated offensively. However, now that we don't we're starting to see Buck's shortcomings.

5 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

Idk about that. I think he was at one point. But I think he would be in Edmonton next year if they offer him the job. 
 I’ve been seeing mos make more calls on the offence in terms of package than he used to. The move down from the booth after soo long up there I think is a sign too. 
 With the performance of the D this year I think JY is/has/will pass buck. 

Thinking the same thing about Younger.

1 hour ago, Brandon said:

This.

And you’ve alluded to some things which are / were similar between him and Buck.  Both guys extended plays with their legs, got outside of the pocket and made things happen with their athleticism.  Both guys were / are warriors.  I think if Buck tapped into some of those things that made him successful (particularly in his earlier years in the league), he’d find a lot of success with Strev.

Buck had better touch on the ball.  He would let it rip and had better footwork and pocket presence (but was still only a career 64% passer with a 1.2:1 TD / INT ratio).  He also had a **** tonne more opportunity and came up under Buono with better a better system and coaching.

Streveler is the better pure athlete who has put quality passing reps on tape both here and in the NFL.  The coaching and the game plans he’s been given have failed him.  If I have any criticism of Strevy it’s that he needs to set his feet and be more patient.  He’s such a physical presence and that instinct “to survive” kicks in and he looks to run and never really establishes a proper platform to throw from if something opens up downfield.  He can evolve as a passer, it just comes down to reps .. something he’s really never had in abundance outside college.

32 minutes ago, voodoochylde said:

This.

And you’ve alluded to some things which are / were similar between him and Buck.  Both guys extended plays with their legs, got outside of the pocket and made things happen with their athleticism.  Both guys were / are warriors.  I think if Buck tapped into some of those things that made him successful (particularly in his earlier years in the league), he’d find a lot of success with Strev.

Buck had better touch on the ball.  He would let it rip and had better footwork and pocket presence (but was still only a career 64% passer with a 1.2:1 TD / INT ratio).  He also had a **** tonne more opportunity and came up under Buono with better a better system and coaching.

Streveler is the better pure athlete who has put quality passing reps on tape both here and in the NFL.  The coaching and the game plans he’s been given have failed him.  If I have any criticism of Strevy it’s that he needs to set his feet and be more patient.  He’s such a physical presence and that instinct “to survive” kicks in and he looks to run and never really establishes a proper platform to throw from if something opens up downfield.  He can evolve as a passer, it just comes down to reps .. something he’s really never had in abundance outside college.

Buck has single hand idly ruined Streveler’s reputation. Why he doesn’t trust a guy who was throwing the football in the NFL to throw the football is baffling. Considering Buck was a former QB. He should know better. I hate that run option play because it’s either going to Brady or Streveler is running the ball. Mix it up with a throw every once in awhile. It’s completely frustrating. 

If Streveler is to hurt to be effective let’s see Wilson. Reality he was pretty good in pre season with no help. When he did make good throws they were dropped. Looked poised for a rookie. Grainger was another dude who looked ok after like 1 practice but then cut. 

41 minutes ago, Super Duper Negatron said:

Then why don't they let him? Sincerely. If he can do it, why does Buck call plays for him like he can't?

Same reason buck doesn’t call plays to counter pressure, why he gets away from running the ball for upwards of a half at a time, why he doesn’t call iso fades or high percentage one on one plays for lawler in the red zone, or even the 20 yard out that he and zach torched the league with previously, or why he has gotten away from the jet package this year, why he’s never made good use of our kr in the offence, why we continually run the same izr scheme even when teams play aggressive gap schemes, and I can keep going on all day with these. The worst being getting away from looks that work with great efficiency for no reason, having no progression play to work off what we do when teams adjust or wrinkles that can work from the same look but create another opportunity. 
 He’s a limited oc, lapo is basically the entire extent of his coaching tree and scheme work. He hasn’t grown as a play caller since he took over at all. 
 The best OCs even those locked into singular styles constantly evolve and bring in new wrinkles. All of bucks wrinkles are lapos old ones. His fall back is the same to. 
 We thought we would get a guy with lapos floor and high ceiling, and in stead we got lapo with no ceiling. 

23 minutes ago, WinnipegGordo said:

Teams can start expanding their rosters this week. Bombers may wait until after the bye to bring their guys in as its only a 30 day window.

Be interesting to see if they bring in a QB.

I’d be surprised if they didn’t look at a qb, but it’ll probably just be for tc next year. No rookie mid season will help any way. 

12 minutes ago, Goalie said:

If Streveler is to hurt to be effective let’s see Wilson. Reality he was pretty good in pre season with no help. When he did make good throws they were dropped. Looked poised for a rookie. Grainger was another dude who looked ok after like 1 practice but then cut. 

I like the ceiling with Wilson and grangers raw tools. But Wilson didn’t look close to ready. I’d trust him to run short yardage and no more. 

Edited by wbbfan

3 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

Same reason buck doesn’t call plays to counter pressure, why he gets away from running the ball for upwards of a half at a time, why he doesn’t call iso fades or high percentage one on one plays for lawler in the red zone, or even the 20 yard out Lakers and zach torched the league with previously, or why he has gotten away from the jet package this year, why he’s never made good use of our kr in the offence, why we continually run the same izr scheme even when teams play aggressive gap schemes, and I can keep going on all day with these. The worst being getting away from looks that work with great efficiency for no reason, having no progression play to work off what we do when teams adjust or wrinkles that can work from the same look but create another opportunity. 
 He’s a limited oc, lapo is basically the entire extent of his coaching tree and scheme work. He hasn’t grown as a play caller since he took over at all. 
 The best OCs even those locked into singular styles constantly evolve and bring in new wrinkles. All of bucks wrinkles are lapos old ones. His fall back is the same to. 
 We thought we would get a guy with lapos floor and high ceiling, and in stead we got lapo with no ceiling. 

Biggest fear being stuck with Buck as OC forevermore if no other team offers him a HC position, cause O'Shea will never dump him.

2 minutes ago, Fatty Liver said:

Biggest fear being stuck with Buck as OC forevermore if no other team offers him a HC position, cause O'Shea will never dump him.

Same here. I’m really hoping he goes to Edmonton to be their hc but at this rate idk if any one will make him an offer. 

4 hours ago, wbbfan said:

Imo, he’s the easiest guy to game plan a counter for because of his usage. 
 He could run like prime Mike vick, and if the other team knows he’s gonna run when he’s in and it’s the same 3 runs they’re gonna stop him. Which is what we see, every one crashes the box especially on qb movement/ hand off action. 
 Strevy may or may not be physically diminished. He doesn’t have a lot of usage, but has seen some hellacious hits. I’m sure he has some injury right now, but idk if it’s some thing that would stop a regular qb. Also you don’t need to be an elite athlete to be a highly effective runner at qb, with one good leg strevy is twice the athlete Fajardo is. But for a running qb to work you have to have the wrs pulling the secondary back creating gaps and angles on the edge. 

I’m a big believer in running qb offences. The key to their success is running smart with the qb. The qb should be running off tackle out side the box stuff ending with going out at the side line, and misdirection power type stuff that has him being the home run hitter. You can’t pound away with the qb like he’s Brady. Especially when you have a Brady as is. 
 We should be pulling the third level down field with wrs, stretching tackle box guys side line to sideline with jet motion, pulling the gap players inside with Brady, and using strevy in rpo stuff to hit guys in motion with the ball quick and easy or blasting through seams when the D over commits to one area. 

Ott took a lot out of him. That game plan makes sense in a play off game with wind/weather. Not other wise. 
 I don’t think we will know how hurt he is till the off season, when they announce he’s going for some surgery again. 

Or he's released & we'll never know as the team will never tell.