The 30, and the (d)evolution of our front scheme.

2 hours ago, wbbfan said:

Except basically no one runs a 3-4 in Canada. What we are running on 2nd down is basically 3-1 and 3-0. The 1 backer is frequently spying the qb/rb and playing a shallow zone. 
 The argos mid 2ks bend but don’t break 30 defence was the closest thing, playing a 3-3 at times. But even then they played a lot of match zone quarters which is excellent at defending the deep shot. 

Fair enough... Rushing 3 = Double moves + Deep Shots.  Better?

47 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

Not really, Bombers really try and take away the deep shot regardless. There's more room for the quick stuff underneath IMO. Which Harris is always happy to take. You're really relying on Jones to get his hands on passes as he did a couple times late in the game.

17 hours ago, wbbfan said:

Guessing both are done. Lawson coming back will be a big help. Hubert was very solid early, they like schmeck and are hooked on Jake. Plus we have Samson on the pr who is a legit prospect. 

When you say they’re done, do you mean they’ve moved on from football or are going to wait until next season in the hopes of getting more $$$?

id sure like if the Bombers could sign one of Kongbo/MBennett for dline depth to finish the season.

18 minutes ago, Squeakers and Skippy said:

you give a qb enough time and someone will be open

54 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

If offences know they are going to have time to throw week after week, eventually they will find ways to beat you. Then other teams will replicate it. 

1 minute ago, wpgallday1960 said:

When you say they’re done, do you mean they’ve moved on from football or are going to wait until next season in the hopes of getting more $$$?

id sure like if the Bombers could sign one of Kongbo/MBennett for dline depth to finish the season.

both moving on from playing imo. I would still like either if they have any thing left to give. Especially Kongbo. 

On 2024-09-06 at 12:01 PM, 17to85 said:

So what? They don't NEED it. But they forced it and kept more impactful imports on the sidelines to fit it.

Of course they need it.  They could've done the tired old, we must play a Canadian at Safety, instead they went with one at CB and SLB.

What import has been more impactful than Ford. 

Kramdi has been a top 3 SLB in the league this year.  He's third in the league for tackles for loss.  He's second in sacks for his position.  Teams tend to throw away from his zone.

Edited by CrazyCanuck89

2 hours ago, CrazyCanuck89 said:

Of course they need it.  They could've done the tired old, we must play a Canadian at Safety, instead they went with one at CB and SLB.

Kramdi has been a top 3 SLB in the league this year.  He's third in the league for tackles for loss.  He's second in sacks for his position.  Teams tend to throw away from his zone.

Point <-----

-----> you.

The point is they don't need to play Jake Thomas and Schmekle all the god damned time to play patty cake with the OL and keep impactful guys like Adams on the PR because they have Ford and kramdi on D already. 

We face a very different opponent next week. Edm. with Tre Ford, very athletic scrambling QB, who will hold the ball or take off and run unlike Harris. Edm. also has a few pretty darn good-looking RB's and IMO at least a more aggressive arguably better O-line than Sask.

I am really excited to see what we do for this game, the 3 front worked and we pulled out two wins against Harris primarily using it.....I am not sure a three front would be the best to deploy against Edm.....but perhaps a 3 front with a heavier LB set....

9 minutes ago, 3rdand1.5 said:

We face a very different opponent next week. Edm. with Tre Ford, very athletic scrambling QB, who will hold the ball or take off and run unlike Harris. Edm. also has a few pretty darn good-looking RB's and IMO at least a more aggressive arguably better O-line than Sask.

I am really excited to see what we do for this game, the 3 front worked and we pulled out two wins against Harris primarily using it.....I am not sure a three front would be the best to deploy against Edm.....but perhaps a 3 front with a heavier LB set....

They won't have to worry about Ford throwing the ball much, but run stopping is going to be a huge factor in this game, if Brown and Leake break through to the secondary it's going to be hard to stop them from gaining massive yards, plus opening the field up for Ford to scramble.  Buck better figure out how to put at least 30 points up on the board minimum, cause they're going to need them.

7 hours ago, CrazyCanuck89 said:

Kramdi isn’t a top 3 Sam in the league. Tfl and sacks are not primary success indicators. You’re also talking about the difference of 1 sack over 14 games. 
 We use Kramdi in the off tackle gap run fit, and blitz him which very few teams do. We have used that look for a long time, and tbh Nichols is drastically better at it. Kramdi isn’t a top 3 Sam on our team. 

His coverage has improved since the early season struggles, he’s not some big issue that needs to be fixed like Thomas. We can generally cover for him. But he isn’t a strength. He’s a role player making elite db money. 
 Ol, and Dl are much bigger issues we should fix ratio wise. 

4 hours ago, 3rdand1.5 said:

we’ve used our Mac to spy plenty in the dime set. I imagine we will do a 2 man spy game with both when the Mac is on / if a rb stays in other wise we will spy with 1. The big key will be to maintain contain on the edge. It should be easy enough for them to execute than getting pressure. I’d put Hubert back on, take Habba off for Adams. Hubert is more assignment sound in contain by a lot, as is garbutt. 
 I’d use stunts, pinch, jam, and slides to move the gap for him to run through around. Especially to take the gap away from the middle when we don’t have spy or have the 30 front out. 
 It’d also pair well to create that hole on the blind side edge and send the db blitz package while rotating the lber and secondary to cover for it. 

4 hours ago, Fatty Liver said:

They won't have to worry about Ford throwing the ball much, but run stopping is going to be a huge factor in this game, if Brown and Leake break through to the secondary it's going to be hard to stop them from gaining massive yards, plus opening the field up for Ford to scramble.  Buck better figure out how to put at least 30 points up on the board minimum, cause they're going to need them.

100%. We can play more aggressive gap cancellation, we just need to not get caught up in run blitzing thing and give up big plays on easy passes. 

On 2024-09-06 at 7:21 AM, Bubba Zanetti said:

Yeah ill bet that is one guy Walters really regrets not keeping. Mind you he's been nothing but injured since he left, but he was an absolute force when he was here.

I believe he has retired. Hasn't played since 2021 & had two achilles injuries back to back. One while rehabbing to come back. 

They do have to worry about the pass. If Ford is benched them MBT comes in & is capable of throwing for 250-300 yards in a half. The Elks will be a tough team to defend as the Bombers will have to be ready for both qbs. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

1 hour ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

They do have to worry about the pass. If Ford is benched them MBT comes in & is capable of throwing for 250-300 yards in a half. The Elks will be a tough team to defend as the Bombers will have to be ready for both qbs. 

Good point. MBT has a history of carving up our D - but the current secondary is a cut above.

1 hour ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

I believe he has retired. Hasn't played since 2021 & had two achilles injuries back to back. One while rehabbing to come back. 

I’d rather over pay dl than most positions. Especially a 2gap player. Run fits are soo much tighter in the cfl than down south. 

qft, nothing is more worrisome as a bomber fan then a qb coming off the bench. We’ve been torched sooooo many times by back ups over the years. 

3 minutes ago, Mark H. said:

Good point. MBT has a history of carving up our D - but the current secondary is a cut above.

I would actually love to see the chess match of our secondary vs mbt as the starter. 

14 hours ago, Booch said:

I'm more  concerned about Leake..and co. Ripping us a new arsehole if we continue a 3 man front with Jake on the nose...or those sets with him and Schmeck together...that's where we will get killed

Yea Leake and company have really stepped up for the Elks. Good move by them profiling Leake as more than a returner. It's paying off opening up more options for MBT.

3 hours ago, HardCoreBlue said:

Yea Leake and company have really stepped up for the Elks. Good move by them profiling Leake as more than a returner. It's paying off opening up more options for MBT.

I expect adams and maybe hubert will draw back in and an imp db will go off. Even with jake taking too many reps, if Garbutt, adams and woods are on for most of the run plays edm won't have a ton of success. I also expect we will have nichols cover the out side run fit on his edge again. 

Too bad we don't still have a bigger Lber who can come on to help gap cancel. Any of Gemmel, Petrishen, Moses, and Thomas would look darn good against Edmonton. 

On 2024-09-06 at 8:44 AM, Booch said:

I can see the angle of the "seen that done that" view...that being said when yu no longer have the ability or the athletic skill any more to react to it...let alone make an impactful play then you become a serious liability...he can't do that no more, for 2+ yrs now really so it's really counter productive now and just delays the development of a younger giy with upside...we have more than enough vet depth and athletic guys to compensate for not rostering Thomas...

Havn't seen enough of Schmeck this yr....but I only see him as being a nice depth piece...but not a stalwart starter by any stretch...I see way more upside in Samson, and even skill at this oint...but he is the new guy here and as history has shown with our staff....many instances have used tenure/vet status/favorite to trump talent and upside

I agree tho...Lawson when back will be thatCanadian stalwart and would have already been that if he didnt have to play second fiddle to Thomas based on my previous comment...he was head and shoulders better 2 yrs ago already, but for 2025 him as the defacto Candadian DT/Nose and Samson taking theSchmeck spot with Adams and Woods rounding out the interior...we are looking pretty solid...and that's not even factoring in this coming draft....who we dig up scouting, and free agency

We seriously need to do whatever it takes...trade...free agency or bring in the number of bodies like we have before with DB'sfor a pure edge rusher to really set us up...and then keep whoever takes the 3rd end spot outta Haba and Garbutt

I would expect the Bombers are preparing for the upcoming off season where as we are Grey Cup hosts in 2025 to aggrssively upgrade our team on both sides of the ball on the LOS & at LB. As well as punt & KO return on ST's. We may see turnover at the qb position. If not QB1 then QB2. 

On 2024-09-11 at 9:07 AM, CrazyCanuck89 said:

What import has been more impactful than Ford

I think you could make a case for Terrell Bonds... that guy has been lights out this year... how do we know he's been good?... he is NEVER mentioned during a game... teams simply don't throw at him.... Ford is having a great year and the stats back it up... but there's a reason quarterbacks challenge Ford much more than they challenge Bonds...