3 stars plus hh bjb sweep first place defended

9 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

I don't agree with that. Talent wise, we're doing alright. Yeah, I'd like to see it better at qb but look around at the USFL. Those qbs aren't great either. The NFL has taken all the best qbs & either rostered them or put them on practice rosters league wide. 

Also different body types being used as NFL QBs now. In the 90s a guy like Kyler Murray would have been up here. On the other side too, a Tracy Ham would rip it up in todays NFL  . 

4 minutes ago, ShyGuy said:

In the NFL, teams seem reluctant to draft and develop QBs. Everyone's backup is an experienced, often a mediocre choice. Then, when the young QB gets their chance, they don't get much of an opportunity and get pulled. 

Love developed. Even Mahomes sat for a year. Not everyone is going to jump into a starter role and Stroud-it. It's the most important position on the field and everyone develops at a different pace. 

Finding  and developing a great Qb is more an art than a scientific step by step process imo. So many variables and intangibles involved. Even the NFL with all it's money and expertise can't  really predict who will be the next great young Qb. Look at Mahomes,if i could pick any QB in NFL history to run my expansion team it would be Mahomes hands down,who would of predicted that early in his career?

13 hours ago, bb1 said:

Finding  and developing a great Qb is more an art than a scientific step by step process imo. So many variables and intangibles involved. Even the NFL with all it's money and expertise can't  really predict who will be the next great young Qb. Look at Mahomes,if i could pick any QB in NFL history to run my expansion team it would be Mahomes hands down,who would of predicted that early in his career?

Your point is totally valid, don’t get me wrong but Mahomes was pretty well known to be the next big thing, even when he was behind Alex Smith.
Lamar Jackson would be a better example, teams were still trying to draft him as a WR. 

1 hour ago, rebusrankin said:

Brocky Purdy was the final pick of the 2022 draft and he's turned into a solid starting QB.

Yes, but he wasn't developed. He just got the job by default. They tried really hard with Lance (high pick who wasn't ready and got injured) a washed up QB (Jimmy G) and never-was-good, wore every jersey in the league QB (Josh Johnson). 

Eventually, and almost literally, Purdy was the last QB standing. 

4 hours ago, JohnnyAbonny said:

Your point is totally valid, don’t get me wrong but Mahomes was pretty well known to be the next big thing, even when he was behind Alex Smith.
Lamar Jackson would be a better example, teams were still trying to draft him as a WR. 

that's just not true... if that was the case, the Bears would've taken him 2nd overall and there's no way 8 other teams would've passed on him

2 hours ago, JohnnyAbonny said:

As early as his first Training Camp guys like Florio and Chris Simms were touting him hard. 

The chatter/touting of "the next big thing" starts in a guy's sophomore year in college... not NFL training camp 

10 hours ago, JohnnyAbonny said:

Mahomes was **** on for being a spread guy and playing at a middling Big 12 program that he didn't really elevate that much.

He kind of broke that mold.

7 hours ago, kelownabomberfan said:

are we really sure yet on Mahomes??  Is he the real deal??  😜

Wish he threw a heavier ball...pressed the line a bit when he takes off...worked on his jump cut...Glen Suitor probably

Edited by Booch

On 2024-09-10 at 3:05 PM, bb1 said:

Finding  and developing a great Qb is more an art than a scientific step by step process imo. So many variables and intangibles involved. Even the NFL with all it's money and expertise can't  really predict who will be the next great young Qb. Look at Mahomes,if i could pick any QB in NFL history to run my expansion team it would be Mahomes hands down,who would have predicted that early in his career?

It’s an alchemical mix of both that doesn’t apply universally to other QBs. The nuance required has killed teams desire to try and try it other than with top picks. The time and investment is also a front office killer if you miss. 
 QBs are really self developing after the first 10-15 picks these days. 

On 2024-09-10 at 1:16 PM, ShyGuy said:

we all fish from the same pool. They get first dibs, but that doesn’t change the fact that less kids are playing football and even less pushing for higher levels. 
 Ol is also a problem for them.  

On 2024-09-12 at 6:12 AM, Booch said:

Wish he threw a heavier ball...pressed the line a bit when he takes off...worked on his jump cut...Glen Suitor probably

Still, if the Bombers do not bring this guy for a looksee, they will be remiss. Probably a 2-3 year project, but he seems to have potential.

As an aside, for us older fans who remember the 2000s and how incredibly obnoxious Roughrider fans became after the team tasted just the tiniest bit of success, this is really sweet. There is no fan base in the planet that became more obnoxious and arrogant than Saskatchewan fans. 

I wish them nothing but failure for as long as I watch the CFL

Edited by White Out

On 2024-09-13 at 9:25 PM, White Out said:

As an aside, for us older fans who remember the 2000s and how incredibly obnoxious Roughrider fans became after the team tasted just the tiniest bit of success, this is really sweet. There is no fan base in the planet that became more obnoxious and arrogant than Saskatchewan fans. 

I wish them nothing but failure for as long as I watch the CFL

I’d argue Red Sox fans got like that. Yankees fans have always been like riders fans, but for one of the most successful teams in na sports history. Cowboys fans too. “Americas team” the rider fans plagiarized soo much of ctheir modern culture. Philadelphia sports fans in general too. 
 Rider fan culture is on the goat list for toxicity. 
 We’ve had our fair share of dumbass toxic online fans since 19, but a tiny fraction of the invasive bs. 
 It sucks for the actual good fans they have.