Johnson/ Wheatfall

10 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

Case made the worst decisions, and lost the spot on ball handling though. He also dances and runs side ways too much especially for our scheme. 
 For me I’d take Johnson off for wheatfall and have lucky as the naturalized import, both sharing the wr spot. Then I’d change his return mate from Augustine to ford. 
 Lucky opened up a ton for us in his start, he can take the top off the D, run yac screens and do a lot off motion.  

Case shows no upside at all....didnt run hard....just meh all around....and yeah we have to start incorporting him more....evenif to jut clear things out for Lawler and Demski down the seams and intermediate crossers

6 minutes ago, blue85gold said:

Lucky is making the first guy miss getting his 10 yards and hitting a wall of coverage. 

Like mixing him in on O to keep the D honest. That jet sweep was nice in particular how he dove forward at the end to maximize the yardage. Could have danced around and tried to break it but decided to get what he could and set up 2nd and short to run the clock. 

yup....gets it and goes.....always positive yards....and scheme definitely not helping him, but even the slightest crack or a botched tackle where he has been seeing the resistance....he will be gone...Case....didnt see it....and doesnt show the toughness either

4 hours ago, wbbfan said:

Case made the worst decisions, and lost the spot on ball handling though. He also dances and runs side ways too much especially for our scheme. 
 For me I’d take Johnson off for wheatfall and have lucky as the naturalized import, both sharing the wr spot. Then I’d change his return mate from Augustine to ford. 
 Lucky opened up a ton for us in his start, he can take the top off the D, run yac screens and do a lot off motion.  

Now we ignore the statistics that say otherwise? Okay... 

4 hours ago, wbbfan said:

Now we ignore the statistics that say otherwise? Okay... 

7 hours ago, wbbfan said:

For me I’d take Johnson off for wheatfall and have lucky as the naturalized import, both sharing the wr spot. Then I’d change his return mate from Augustine to ford

9/10 times I’d agree. In this particular season, under these exact circumstances, no way am I risking Ford getting hurt as a returner right now. 
Agree on everything else. Another option could be Johnson off Chris Smith on. Then you could ditch Augustine for a game and get Hubert back in for DL depth. 

17 hours ago, Stickem said:

Lucky is putting in a great effort....returning and in the odd offensive push....We still need a dedicated returner and I'm afraid we were spoiled with Grant ...I see Janarion is inserted in the argo's schemes every once in awhile and performing quite well....Still a mystery why we didn't make an effort to bring him back...Walters brain fart

Walters didn't want to pay him. 

It is just mind boggling that Johnson is still starting. 

He has 138 yards receiving in 10 games.  Still has not passed Schoen's totals from not even 3 full games and Schoen didn't have a great start to the season. 

The last 4 games he has 2 catches for 21 yards.

How is this acceptable for an import receiver? 

For the love of god please try someone else there.

10 minutes ago, blue85gold said:

It is just mind boggling that Johnson is still starting. 

He has 138 yards receiving in 10 games.  Still has not passed Schoen's totals from not even 3 full games and Schoen didn't have a great start to the season. 

The last 4 games he has 2 catches for 21 yards.

How is this acceptable for an import receiver? 

For the love of god please try someone else there.

well....he blowing Jackson's stats and purpose from last year right out of the country if thats a plus hahahaha...so thats a net gain lol

But yeah in all honesty....why?....and Clercius/Whitehead could easily fill his role in what we doing....and allow us another import elsewhere....one that would make an actual impact

And like someone else mentioned Nationalize Whitehead and he and Clercius could freely come in for one another....designate 7 nationals on offence if we choose to keep Neuf as a starter  and have the ability to go all import on defense save for Ford...

Edited by Booch

My understanding from listening to Tait and others is that Johnsons primary role is blocking... Which he apparently does very well. But agreed that I'd like to try someone else in that spot to see if we could get better production offensively...

Just now, Noeller said:

My understanding from listening to Tait and others is that Johnsons primary role is blocking... Which he apparently does very well. But agreed that I'd like to try someone else in that spot to see if we could get better production offensively...

I wouldn't go by what Tait and others say tho...some of the things some of them say are far from the facts....

I would also think Clercius would do a better job at that...heck he does a better job at it....and possess' crazy good hands on top of it

34 minutes ago, Noeller said:

A few weeks ago, I saw him on a couple replays and he reminded me of Darvin Adams (as a blocker) - a taller, leaner receiver doing a good job blocking and showing a bit of attitude so I tried keeping an eye on him after that but I didn't really noticed him again.  The last couple games when I did see him, it was nothing to write home about.  If he was more consistent, maybe we wouldn't be having this discussion but even then his lack of production (on the few targets he gets) would still be noticeable.  A guy like Darvin could block and still be a productive receiver.

3 minutes ago, bigg jay said:

A few weeks ago, I saw him on a couple replays and he reminded me of Darvin Adams (as a blocker) - a taller, leaner receiver doing a good job blocking and showing a bit of attitude so I tried keeping an eye on him after that but I didn't really noticed him again.  The last couple games when I did see him, it was nothing to write home about.  If he was more consistent, maybe we wouldn't be having this discussion but even then his lack of production (on the few targets he gets) would still be noticeable.  A guy like Darvin could block and still be a productive receiver.

Exactly. You can’t be a black hole out there as a target. You have to keep a defense honest. If Johnson can’t be relied upon to catch the ball or stretch the field he’s absolutely a waste of a roster spot. Put Wheatfall out there, he’s a big target, Zach’s been missing that deep shot player most of the season. Let the defense have to worry about someone other then Lawler or Demski going deep. 

8 minutes ago, Arnold_Palmer said:

Exactly. You can’t be a black hole out there as a target. You have to keep a defense honest. If Johnson can’t be relied upon to catch the ball or stretch the field he’s absolutely a waste of a roster spot. Put Wheatfall out there, he’s a big target, Zach’s been missing that deep shot player most of the season. Let the defense have to worry about someone other then Lawler or Demski going deep. 

Wilson is designed to go deep, but he needs a QB that can get him the ball in space, not at a dead stop or always coming back to catch it.  I'd like to see what a Wilson to Wilson combo. looks like.

4 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Honestly with how discombobulated our passing game is at the best of times this year what do we realistically expect from the last receiver on the field? Collaros generally doesn't have time to look around too much.

True, Zach almost always has someone in his face, he needs to extend his drop another 4 ft. back.

42 minutes ago, Fatty Liver said:

True, Zach almost always has someone in his face, he needs to extend his drop another 4 ft. back.

or be used consistently in roll/sprint outs....a stationary pocket passer at this juncture of his career....good oline or not isn't his best fit anymore I dont think...I also think he has lost arm strength....He never was a howitzer type guy but the last 2 yrs...as mentioned...how many times have we seen him hit shots deep in stride....or even a deep intermediate crosser?...very rare now

He can drop a nice corner...or post into a spot...that the receiver can go get when inside a 35..40 yard range....but after that it's a total crapshoot 50/50 Faj type ball

And as he has never really been a good touch/short ball passer....he struggles with that and a lot of those plays the receiever/back has to really put effort into securing the ball before they can think of post catch moves...as opposed to just reeling it in and going in stride...thats where our pass game is ailing us

It's a good thing we have a Lawler who can make those crazy catches consistantly....

Edited by Booch

2 hours ago, Noeller said:

That was the excuse for Kelvin McKnight and Tavares Harrison being on too though. 

Edited by JohnnyAbonny
Kelvin McKnight, not Bryan

4 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

But less consistently that he used to.

maybe it's a case as well that the balls being sent his way are even shittier....too many times he was battling 3 guys this yr well....aint gonna win many of those I dont care who you are

1 hour ago, 17to85 said:

Honestly with how discombobulated our passing game is at the best of times this year what do we realistically expect from the last receiver on the field? Collaros generally doesn't have time to look around too much.

I'd be happy with just the hint of a threat that someone in that position could do something. 

3 hours ago, 17to85 said:

Could be a bit of this (i.e., usually being the last read), could be a bit the blocking role, could be a bit of he sucks and could be a bit of MOS loves the underdog.

Edited by HardCoreBlue