Bombers at Elks GDT (Ford vs. Ford)

K-Shack

1 hour ago, Bigblue204 said:

Edmonton wasn't beating them via the pass. They don't have the horses. They had to keep running the ball and they took out the guy who kept the defense honest. Game wasn't out of control when they pulled him.

This is nonsense.  Bombers were loading up for run and especially disciplined backside for any read option stuff.  They mostly played with 3 linemen B to B and everyone else free off the line.  Yeah Edmonton hit a couple big ones and a couple more 7-8 yarders.  But they weren’t going to drive for TDs without a passing threat.

Realistically their best chance of winning is MBT playing most snaps and Ford as a gadget/change of pace guy.  If anything they waited too long to switch and probably should have done it at half.

2 hours ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Realistically their best chance of winning is MBT playing most snaps and Ford as a gadget/change of pace guy.  If anything they waited too long to switch and probably should have done it at half.

McLeod Bethyl didn't exactly light it up when he was finally inserted.....I doubt either qb. wins this one and the Bombers looked superior overall....Even with the refs phoney phatom roughing the passer call on Thomas (who really wasn't the guy anyway) didn't help them....We were in the 'chicken box' more than they were and it ended as it should have

8 minutes ago, JohnnyAbonny said:

I don’t know, I think Macbeth would have them put up more points than Ford had he played from the start. Certainly wouldn’t have turned the ball over as much. 

He really hasn’t the last few times bombers have played him tho. Firmly believe we beat Toronto if he doesn’t get hurt in the cup game. Kelly came in late and ran. We couldn’t stop him. We lost. 

3 hours ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

This is nonsense.  Bombers were loading up for run and especially disciplined backside for any read option stuff.  They mostly played with 3 linemen B to B and everyone else free off the line.  Yeah Edmonton hit a couple big ones and a couple more 7-8 yarders.  But they weren’t going to drive for TDs without a passing threat.

How many points did MBT put up? I'm not saying Ford would have won them the game. But once they put MBT in, the game was over. It was an idiotic call and took away their only ability to move the ball.

MBT is overrated.

Edited by Bigblue204

1 hour ago, Stickem said:

McLeod Bethyl didn't exactly light it up when he was finally inserted.....I doubt either qb. wins this one and the Bombers looked superior overall....Even with the refs phoney phatom roughing the passer call on Thomas (who really wasn't the guy anyway) didn't help them....We were in the 'chicken box' more than they were and it ended as it should have

It was a weak call but Jake did bump into him late. If anything a vet of 200 games should know better.

1 hour ago, Colin Unger said:

Not sure that MBT gives them a greater chance to win. With Ford out there they were able to rip us on the run since we were focused on containing Ford.  Their run game will be less of a weapon without worrying about containment.  

4 previous games for Elks with MBT...9 TD passes...37, 35, 17, 47 points.

Ford scored 1 TD and turned it over 4 times in less than 3 quarters.

Starting Ford was a classic "if it ain't broke, don't break it."  Maybe trying to sell tickets....but might have cost themselves a playoff spot to do it.  Lots of ways to integrate Ford as a weapon to be a better team.  Starting him ain't it.

Edited by JuranBoldenRules

13 hours ago, CodyT said:

I think you're right. But the best of the bunch, is still the best of the bunch.

The good news is we do sometimes see flashes of improvement out of the offense. I didn't think collaros had happy feet tonight, aside from one Olie check down where he panicked.

Used his legs to make plays. Looks like he had some time in the pocket.

The biggest issue remains that he can't find the deep ball to save his life this year. He missed Lawler when he had a step.

I liked that he didn't force the ball down field as much as he has this past season. Went through the reads and opted out.

It's not a lot of passing yards but it's good play. Every week the bomber o shows JUST enough to think they can start to click. But 6 turnovers and that amount of offensive production... not good enough 

What we are seeing may be the best Collaros can do due to the cumulative effect of injuries and aging, so Buck may have to plan around Collaros' diminished ability to sling the ball with accuracy and power, as he has done. He ain't gonna get any younger, either, so we had better lower our expectations accordingly.

17 minutes ago, Tracker said:

What we are seeing may be the best Collaros can do due to the cumulative effect of injuries and aging, so Buck may have to plan around Collaros' diminished ability to sling the ball with accuracy and power, as he has done. He ain't gonna get any younger, either, so we had better lower our expectations accordingly.

And lack of elite targets, vets, big targets.

We switched to a receiving corps of 200 lbs plus dudes to a bunch of short skinny guys.  Collaros has always shined with big dudes with his style of vertical offense.

Think we've always had guys like Adams, Ellingson, Bailey in those 3-4-5 roles along with Demski and Wolitarsky.

This year it's been Wilson...then elevated to 1-2, Josh Johnson, Wolitarsky in and out, dinged most of year.  Demski has been 1-2 target most of season.

Lawler and Schoen COMBINED have 400 yards receiving this year which is about 11% of our total passing yards this year.

Edited by JuranBoldenRules

11 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

We switched to a receiving corps of 200 lbs plus dudes to a bunch of short skinny guys.  Collaros has always shined with big dudes with his style of vertical offense.

Think we've always had guys like Adams, Ellingson, Bailey in those 3-4-5 roles along with Demski and Wolitarsky.

This year it's been Wilson...then elevated to 1-2, Josh Johnson, Wolitarsky in and out, dinged most of year.  Demski has been 1-2 target most of season.

Lawler and Schoen COMBINED have 400 yards receiving this year which is about 11% of our total passing yards this year.

If Wheatfall can add another 20 pounds he could become that guy, Clercius is there already but not sure he's has the presence to become anything more than a secondary target.

2 hours ago, Colin Unger said:

Not sure that MBT gives them a greater chance to win. With Ford out there they were able to rip us on the run since we were focused on containing Ford.  Their run game will be less of a weapon without worrying about containment.  

2 hours ago, Bigblue204 said:

How many points did MBT put up? I'm not saying Ford would have won them the game. But once they put MBT in, the game was over. It was an idiotic call and took away their only ability to move the ball.

MBT is overrated.

He very well may be overrated. The Bombers probably still would have won the game. 

Thing is, without Fords turnovers, Edmonton would have been very likely playing with a lead in the 4th quarter last night.

I don’t buy that their running game wouldn’t be a factor without Ford at all.

They were running all over teams with MBT starting too. 

42 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Thats a good observation and why I say that the suggesting of Case...and keeping Mitchell....ain't gonna help us

Wheatfall Has the body type and don't really see him needing to add anything mote than 5 pounds or so...Clercius if we actually use him and integrate him more can be just as effective if not better than Cottoy, as Clercius has crazy good hands

What ails us more than anything from my perspectives the routes we have guys running...or at times the lack there of, as well as we have been showing minimal creativity, and next to no motion and receiver runs...or threat of it to build off and set things up as a diguise...We are very predictable, and teams know when we need to make a certain down or distance...know the handfull of 3..4 plays we gonna run...and hence why Lawler is always competing for balls or fed into double and triple coverage...and teams show mild attention to guys pre-snap and right after ZC first read and then just drop away and blanket where they know the 1 or 2 spots the ball is going...

18 hours ago, Goalie said:

lol. Just wearing rider gitch aren’t you. 6 in a row is 6 in a row. Gotta give them credit. Bombers D is legit. If their O wasn’t the worst in the league, they are the juggernaut   Put up 27. 6 turnovers. Should have been 50. 

I'd agree with that. Defense was dominant and that was not an accident. Shut down the run when they needed to and I didn't think they would be able to do that in the 4th quarter. Looks like this team did not miss Bighill that much and I think they should move on from that contract next year. Tony Jones looks like he is a player. Going to be a star for this team in years to come.

Edited by SteakTips

28 minutes ago, SteakTips said:

I'd agree with that. Defense was dominant and that was not an accident. Shut down the run when they needed to and I didn't think they would be able to do that in the 4th quarter. Looks like this team did not miss Bighill that much and I think they should move on from that contract next year. Tony Jones looks like he is a player. Going to be a star for this team in years to come.

Realistically anytime Biggie the last 2 yrs has been out...we havnt missed him at all...or even noticed....and many times our LB's made some big plays....athletic ones....age is a s.o.b

22 hours ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

I expect MBT to play the entire game this Friday. I agree Ford is not a starting qb in this league. He's a super talented & athletic qb who can run but can't read a defense if his life depended on it. With Ford as their qb, the Elks receivers are just being wasted. 

16 hours ago, Booch said:

Realistically anytime Biggie the last 2 yrs has been out...we havnt missed him at all...or even noticed....and many times our LB's made some big plays....athletic ones....age is a s.o.b

Bighill has been done for 2 years now. His injury was an addition by subtraction i hate to say. You know damn well O'Shea would have never taken him out if he hadnt have gotten injured. Time to turn the page.

6 minutes ago, Bubba Zanetti said:

Bighill has been done for 2 years now. His injury was an addition by subtraction i hate to say. You know damn well O'Shea would have never taken him out if he hadnt have gotten injured. Time to turn the page.

yup...pretty much...and sad to say but only an injury is gonna get Thomas parked.....his "leadership" is easily replaced on the field and he can still offer it from sidelines...BA too...he has played well of late but still will cough up a huge..HUGE gaff every now and then....can't have that out of a "vet"

Just now, Booch said:

yup...pretty much...and sad to say but only an injury is gonna get Thomas parked.....his "leadership" is easily replaced on the field and he can still offer it from sidelines...BA too...he has played well of late but still will cough up a huge..HUGE gaff every now and then....can't have that out of a "vet"

Yup. Still trying to figure out what the hell he was doing on the Edmonton Flea-Flicker TD.

36 minutes ago, Bubba Zanetti said:

Yup. Still trying to figure out what the hell he was doing on the Edmonton Flea-Flicker TD.

I think he was setting up for actually good position initially...he just didnt look and see the ball was severely underthrown and didn't adjust...it happens....but gotta look back as well when "ball" is yelled

Thats how the majority of the Faj's deep shots were/are made....poor under thrown ball where DB didnt adjust as they were focused on receiver and not looking for ball in air

Ya BA did 80% of that play well....but misjudged it and well the rest was history...oops...however Ford should have been in Gino's hip-pocket, Ford actually bit on the "run" and let Gino go. I believe he has been bitten twice on the flea flicker this season, don't think that Edm. didn't have that drawn up off something they saw in Ford on film...

BA has come on in the last bit, I don't think he is playing all-star like he has in the past, but his veteran know how does help us.....Biggie I mean one of the best ever and very "football" smart, but his body just doesn't seem to let him do it at the same level any longer...it happens to everyone, you can't beat age.....

Jones and Ayers both looked good last week...

On 2024-09-22 at 3:31 PM, Booch said:

That may have been the best middle linebacker performance that new kid ... was his name Brown???... played in years. He & Ayers were great together. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27