Elks at Bombers Talk

Nolby

4 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

Between Dole and wilson who gives us the best chance to win if zach goes down? Depends on wilson really. I would suspect dole would with passing, but if wilson has developed much since the pre season it wouldn't take a lot for him to pass dole as a passer imo. 

My vote would be Wilson because he showed potential in the games he played in preseason. Mind you, I’ve never been a coach in the CFL or even WHSFL. 

2 minutes ago, Rod Black said:

My vote would be Wilson because he showed potential in the games he played in preseason. Mind you, I’ve never been a coach in the CFL or even WHSFL. 

The best chance to win immediately? Probably Dolegala...but it would depend on his grasp of the playbook. Wilson is a rookie with 0 games played. It's not that he doesn't have potential but winning right off the bat would be a lot to ask.

1 minute ago, Rod Black said:

I do like wilson, imo, grainger has even more potential. But wilson has a good mix of polish and potential. Grainger might need a full tc and then a year to be as ready as he will ever get. Wilson looked a lot like brown but a bit more athletic. Grainger, looks like a human cheat code. The only thing I don't like about grainger is the slight hitch / reach back on his throws. But with some coaching he could end up with a quick delivery. 

Just now, wbbfan said:

I do like wilson, imo, grainger has even more potential. But wilson has a good mix of polish and potential. Grainger might need a full tc and then a year to be as ready as he will ever get. Wilson looked a lot like brown but a bit more athletic. Grainger, looks like a human cheat code. The only thing I don't like about grainger is the slight hitch / reach back on his throws. But with some coaching he could end up with a quick delivery. 

Grainger is pretty raw but yea if he can fine tune some stuff and IF he can read the game around him he could end up being a gooder.

1 minute ago, GCn20 said:

The best chance to win immediately? Probably Dolegala...but it would depend on his grasp of the playbook. Wilson is a rookie with 0 games played. It's not that he doesn't have potential but winning right off the bat would be a lot to ask.

Rookie QBs are weird. Some times kids are just ready right away. They come with the mentality and soft skills that it takes. Other times, they really need 2 TCs and a year on the bench to develop that stuff. Or even longer. I feel like if wilson didn't have that stuff, they would've brought in dole or another cut vet earlier and sat wilson on the PR. 

IIRC Wilson seemed very composed in preseason, similar to the Brown observation. Watching him in short yardage situations, he does what he is suppose to do, get the first down. 

Edited by Rod Black

Just now, GCn20 said:

Grainger is pretty raw but yea if he can fine tune some stuff and IF he can read the game around him he could end up being a gooder.

Yeah, crazy physical tools. His touch on deep balls is really nice too. The fact they brought him back, along with the two guys with game experience I think says a lot. Or I hope so any way. 

1 minute ago, wbbfan said:

Rookie QBs are weird. Some times kids are just ready right away. They come with the mentality and soft skills that it takes. Other times, they really need 2 TCs and a year on the bench to develop that stuff. Or even longer. I feel like if wilson didn't have that stuff, they would've brought in dole or another cut vet earlier and sat wilson on the PR. 

They did bring in Dolegala as soon as Strev went down. Almost immediately really. 

1 minute ago, Rod Black said:

IIRC Wilson seemed very composed in preseason, similar to the Brown observation. 

Game 1 he came in and turned around the offence, then we put in barryeh and it all went to pot. Game 2 he struggled. But like brown showed good composure and toughness. 

Just now, GCn20 said:

They did bring in Dolegala as soon as Strev went down. Almost immediately really. 

No I mean if wilson didn't have it to play this year, they would've brought him in when he was cut right away and put wilson on the pr. Rather than doing it after strev went down. 

4 minutes ago, Rod Black said:

IIRC Wilson seemed very composed in preseason, similar to the Brown observation. 

It's not whether he is composed or not, the difference in game speed between exhibition and regular season is night and day. 

2 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

Game 1 he came in and turned around the offence, then we put in barryeh and it all went to pot. Game 2 he struggled. But like brown showed good composure and toughness. 

No I mean if wilson didn't have it to play this year, they would've brought him in when he was cut right away and put wilson on the pr. Rather than doing it after strev went down. 

I don't think so. We had our experienced 1 and 2 and then 3 where Wilson was as a development QB.  That seem to be our M.O. for several years now. 

Edited by GCn20

Dolegala definitely doesn't have a problem of looking over the OLine....He can deliver and it might be an improvement in his game in that he has talent to throw to.....He might surprise the hell out of us ...A laser passer he isn't but ....adequate 

10 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

It's not whether he is composed or not, the difference in game speed between exhibition and regular season is night and day. 

I don't think so. We had our experienced 1 and 2 and then 3 where Wilson was as a development QB.  That seem to be our M.O. for several years now. 

The difference is strevy was a battering ram and banged up from his early season start. And playing that package left him far more prone to injuries than a guy previously like brown. Previously, our battering ram QB was qb3, not 2. 

9 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

Dolegala is actually a decent passer if he gets protection. What he isn't very good at is anything outside the pocket.

His athleticism isn't shabby either, he just doesn't seem to function well mentally when scramble mode kicks in. 

6 minutes ago, Stickem said:

Dolegala definitely doesn't have a problem of looking over the OLine....He can deliver and it might be an improvement in his game in that he has talent to throw to.....He might surprise the hell out of us ...A laser passer he isn't but ....adequate 

His arm is very strong, but the rest of the tools are pretty meh. 

Wilson showed no ability to go vertical in pre-season.  His average pass was less than 6 yards downfield in the home preseason game.

The vertical stuff is the whole passing offense.  Dolegala is clearly the better option immediately.

Dolegala did alright with Sask considering they couldn't protect.  His results were almost exactly the same in terms of stats as Harris last year with Sask.

14 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

A team right at the SMS limit isn't looking to bring in another 6 figure QB when they already have almost $900,000 sunk in their top 2 QB's.

11 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

I wouldn't have any concern in a regular season game but neither stands much of a chance in the playoffs against a heightened level of competition and tougher defensive play they will face.  Even with Zach pushing an anemic offence it's questionable how far they could advance this season. If Collaros goes down, might as well wave the white flag, crack another bottle, and ride it on out.

7 minutes ago, JCon said:

Wilson has zero experience against a real team. Preseason reps??

This place is Riderville now. 

Stuff like this certainly make it more so. 

8 minutes ago, Rod Black said:

How’s your sister doing? 

Highly satisfying? SHOOT wrong punch line. 

11 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Wilson showed no ability to go vertical in pre-season.  His average pass was less than 6 yards downfield in the home preseason game.

The vertical stuff is the whole passing offense.  Dolegala is clearly the better option immediately.

Dolegala did alright with Sask considering they couldn't protect.  His results were almost exactly the same in terms of stats as Harris last year with Sask.

A team right at the SMS limit isn't looking to bring in another 6 figure QB when they already have almost $900,000 sunk in their top 2 QB's.

A team with this many games on the 6 game ir, isn't right against the SMS. But you should forward that info to the bc lions lol. 

No one could, including week 1 zach. 

Wilson showd good poise...also the willingness to hang in the pocket under durress and find...or try to find a guy

BUT.....he is also mobile and can/will run and from what I saw of him in TC/pre-season and in his college career he has a nice ability to throw on the run and with a moving pocket....perfect fo up here....great potential with him...will it be realized...or give a true chance to?...thats the question

Edited by Booch

26 minutes ago, Fatty Liver said:

I wouldn't have any concern in a regular season game but neither stands much of a chance in the playoffs against a heightened level of competition and tougher defensive play they will face.  Even with Zach pushing an anemic offence it's questionable how far they could advance this season. If Collaros goes down, might as well wave the white flag, crack another bottle, and ride it on out.

True....but the beautiful thing about playoff football is there is always a chance of a foul weather game. That can be quite the equalizer sometimes.