Elks at Bombers Talk

Nolby

9 minutes ago, Booch said:

Wilson showd good poise...also the willingness to hang in the pocket under durress and find...or try to find a guy

BUT.....he is also mobile and can/will run and from what I saw of him in TC/pre-season and in his college career he has a nice ability to throw on the run and with a moving pocket....perfect fo up here....great potential with him...will it be realized...or give a true chance to?...thats the question

Worst....the ABSOLUTELY WORST thing you can do to a young QB is throw him into meaningful action before he is ready. The fact we went out and immediately signed 2 QBs when Strev went down tells me that our coaching feels, at the very least, that he may not be ready yet. Anyone who knows a lick about QB development knows that you can't hurry the process. Every QB has a different time line. What is universal is that throwing them into the fire before they are ready will almost certainly ruin a QB. 

46 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

Worst....the ABSOLUTELY WORST thing you can do to a young QB is throw him into meaningful action before he is ready. The fact we went out and immediately signed 2 QBs when Strev went down tells me that our coaching feels, at the very least, that he may not be ready yet. Anyone who knows a lick about QB development knows that you can't hurry the process. Every QB has a different time line. What is universal is that throwing them into the fire before they are ready will almost certainly ruin a QB. 

Or maybe they are looking for the next guy after Zach also. Wilson Grainger Scott and even Bananafest could be that guy. It’s good to hoard QBs cuz cfl in general is lacking them.  I mean in my opinion you aren’t wrong but I’m also of the opinion that maybe sometimes you should throw them in. I dunno. I know he’s an exception but how long Ricky Ray sit for? Maybe we got the next Ricky ray and don’t know it. 

Edited by Goalie

Grainger as an example. He had like what 2 practices and then played in preseason. Did he look great? No the numbers disagree but we also had guys who couldn’t catch COVID in Wuhan China  fighting for spots. If i recall correctly he had a good strong arm, made some good throws and has some skills suited to the CFL. He’s probably currently Tre Ford like. Potential is there. Probably not a starter yet but showed well. Then we cut him but then brought him back. I dunno. 

why not sometimes if you getting your ass kicked. Which really hasn’t been recent at all. The bc game last year would be good time for the rooks. Or when we clinch or do you play Zach and the gang still cuz the O has been Jake Maier bad so you want them to get rolling. The D isn’t the problem. Hopefully the O shows up tonight. It’s an above average sunny late September day. Good time to put up some points. 

Edited by Goalie

55 minutes ago, Goalie said:

Grainger as an example. He had like what 2 practices and then played in preseason. Did he look great? No the numbers disagree but we also had guys who couldn’t catch COVID in Wuhan China  fighting for spots. If i recall correctly he had a good strong arm, made some good throws and has some skills suited to the CFL. He’s probably currently Tre Ford like. Potential is there. Probably not a starter yet but showed well. Then we cut him but then brought him back. I dunno. 

I don't think your recollection is correct.

He played the last 9 minutes of the 2nd quarter and there were a total of 6 pass plays called for him.  He went 1-5 passing (he was sacked in the end zone on the other pass play) with only one drop from a receiver. He somehow got hurt and didn't see the field in the 2nd half - not sure how it happened since he was on the field to end the 1st half & was just handing the ball off.  He showed nothing of the mobility that Ford has so not sure where that comparison came from.

You can watch his play from that game here (he comes in just before the 32 minute mark of the video): 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tY8J8CeE_jA

2 hours ago, Booch said:

Wilson showd good poise...also the willingness to hang in the pocket under durress and find...or try to find a guy

BUT.....he is also mobile and can/will run and from what I saw of him in TC/pre-season and in his college career he has a nice ability to throw on the run and with a moving pocket....perfect fo up here....great potential with him...will it be realized...or give a true chance to?...thats the question

At this rate I think we will get a gimme at the end of the year to have a glimpse at both what Wilson can do in season and what dole can do here. 
 I fear any qb that needs significant protection in the pocket is not safe here this year. 

I think people are forgetting how bad our supporting offensive pieces were in both pre season games too. 

47 minutes ago, bigg jay said:

I don't think your recollection is correct.

He played the last 9 minutes of the 2nd quarter and there were a total of 6 pass plays called for him.  He went 1-5 passing (he was sacked in the end zone on the other pass play) with only one drop from a receiver. He somehow got hurt and didn't see the field in the 2nd half - not sure how it happened since he was on the field to end the 1st half & was just handing the ball off.  He showed nothing of the mobility that Ford has so not sure where that comparison came from.

You can watch his play from that game here (he comes in just before the 32 minute mark of the video): 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tY8J8CeE_jA

He didn’t look great or good. He looked loaded with potential. The guy really moves and can chuck it. His college tape is impressive. He’s raaaaaaaaw, like really raw. Throwing him in for a 4th would be mainly about giving him some development before the off season. He could run short yardage, but he shouldn’t normally be a qb3. 

11 minutes ago, Rod Black said:

Enjoyable place. Very picturesque. 

OK so ya, I thought he meant like.. oh thats unusual to be on holiday so far away. But if he meant that people dont come to Croatia for vacation then that just likely means he hasn't seen how beautiful my ancestral homeland is. I'm not going to flood the board with pictures just google Croatia Adriatic coast. 

15 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Croatia is big time tourist destination,  the father in-law is leaving soon for a cruise that among other places stops in Croatia.

I did that cruise in 2018.  We stopped in Dubrovnik and had to join the 5,000 other people all walking down the steps saying "Shame" just to show our GOT bonafides...

giphy.gif?cid=6c09b952mack668n05esgl0qn1

When I see Hannah Waddingham in Ted Lasso it's hard for me to not see her as this bellringing psychopath.

17 minutes ago, kelownabomberfan said:

I did that cruise in 2018.  We stopped in Dubrovnik and had to join the 5,000 other people all walking down the steps saying "Shame" just to show our GOT bonafides...

giphy.gif?cid=6c09b952mack668n05esgl0qn1

When I see Hannah Waddingham in Ted Lasso it's hard for me to not see her as this bellringing psychopath.

Holy shut! That's her!?

1 hour ago, 17to85 said:

Croatia is big time tourist destination,  the father in-law is leaving soon for a cruise that among other places stops in Croatia.

I hear Croatia and all I see is "...it's good you came in summer...." #references

4 hours ago, Goalie said:

why not sometimes if you getting your ass kicked. Which really hasn’t been recent at all. The bc game last year would be good time for the rooks. Or when we clinch or do you play Zach and the gang still cuz the O has been Jake Maier bad so you want them to get rolling. The D isn’t the problem. Hopefully the O shows up tonight. It’s an above average sunny late September day. Good time to put up some points. 

Why?  Because it's not a video game and you want to have some success with the guys who are going to play the next game against that same team that matters.  They aren't playing to support or disprove fan hype trains.  Plus there's not a ton of "backups" on the roster really to the point you can just sit some guys down in a regular season game mid-game.

They will sit a ton of guys if there is a meaningless game in the last two weeks.

Edited by JuranBoldenRules

9 out of 10 from 3DN are picking the Bombers this week and it might still be early but some of their statements are not looking good.

ABBOTT: It will be closer than last week, but not close enough

DURRELL: The Bombers are tough to beat at home but I think Edmonton keeps this close

GRANT: I really like this Elks team, but Winnipeg has only lost five games at home since the 2018 season. The Bombers will get it done, but not without a fight.

HERRERA-VERGARA: The return of MBT will be the difference for Edmonton

HOSKINS: Edmonton puts up a better fight but the Bombers just find ways to beat them. 

KLEIN: It doesn’t exactly get easier to play in Winnipeg as the year goes on. Edmonton puts up a good fight but Bombers prevail again. 

2 minutes ago, bigg jay said:

9 out of 10 from 3DN are picking the Bombers this week and it might still be early but some of their statements are not looking good.

ABBOTT: It will be closer than last week, but not close enough

DURRELL: The Bombers are tough to beat at home but I think Edmonton keeps this close

GRANT: I really like this Elks team, but Winnipeg has only lost five games at home since the 2018 season. The Bombers will get it done, but not without a fight.

HERRERA-VERGARA: The return of MBT will be the difference for Edmonton

HOSKINS: Edmonton puts up a better fight but the Bombers just find ways to beat them. 

KLEIN: It doesn’t exactly get easier to play in Winnipeg as the year goes on. Edmonton puts up a good fight but Bombers prevail again. 

I hope you're not jinxing us but I definitely laughed...

5 hours ago, White Out said:

OK so ya, I thought he meant like.. oh thats unusual to be on holiday so far away. But if he meant that people dont come to Croatia for vacation then that just likely means he hasn't seen how beautiful my ancestral homeland is. I'm not going to flood the board with pictures just google Croatia Adriatic coast. 

Have been there. What struck me was a lot of the buildings, really old buildings, had bullet holes. Food was good. Weather can be ideal, palm trees ffs. Reasonable prices. And food was real good. Was so good I had to say it twice. 

On 2024-09-28 at 1:15 AM, Noeller said:

I hear Croatia and all I see is "...it's good you came in summer...." #references

20240929-145109.jpg

Rijeka today. Was beautiful. Driving to Zadar today where the Adriatic Sea will be 23 or 24. 

I have no idea where my dad left this place for Winnipeg, I'm glad he did, but this place is absolutely beautiful and the food is insane. 

I can't recommend my ancestral home enough to you or anyone else. 

Have been in Zadar. If you have the time for a brief diversion, the Sea Organ was kinda cool. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sea_organ

15 hours ago, White Out said:

20240929-145109.jpg

Rijeka today. Was beautiful. Driving to Zadar today where the Adriatic Sea will be 23 or 24. 

I have no idea where my dad left this place for Winnipeg, I'm glad he did, but this place is absolutely beautiful and the food is insane. 

I can't recommend my ancestral home enough to you or anyone else.