3 stars plus hh punching holes in donuts

6 hours ago, CrazyCanuck89 said:

Not trolling at all.  She got a great voice, energy and is good looking.  Plus she knows Sports.

To each their own. I find her voice to be grating and obnoxious. 
Tbf though, I don’t just want to pick on Kate Beirness. I find Milt just as annoying. The whole panel really, besides Lapo and Laura, who I think is a much better host for the same reasons as the others posted above.

To be honest, it’s a TSN fundamental issue with me.
I want to see football be the star, not forced banter and gimmicky nonsense.
Could you see Tony Dungy wearing overalls on NBC, or Andrea Kramer eating a big burger at halftime? 

We don’t even need a full panel, just get 2, maybe 3 entertaining, knowledgeable people (Lapo and a host, Laura or someone else) and let them talk for halftime and pre/postgame while showing highlights and player interviews, something like ESPN used to have with Chris Berman and Tom Jackson would be better suited for CFL. 

TSN is trying to do it like NBC/FOX do with the network pregame shows and FNIA stuff, but the NFL has a dozen or more games every Sunday to talk about.

You don’t need a 5 person roundtable to talk for half an hour before every game in a 9 team league. Save the panel for a weekly preview show on Wednesday nights or something. 

8 hours ago, JohnnyAbonny said:

To each their own. I find her voice to be grating and obnoxious. 
Tbf though, I don’t just want to pick on Kate Beirness. I find Milt just as annoying. The whole panel really, besides Lapo and Laura, who I think is a much better host for the same reasons as the others posted above.

To be honest, it’s a TSN fundamental issue with me.
I want to see football be the star, not forced banter and gimmicky nonsense.
Could you see Tony Dungy wearing overalls on NBC, or Andrea Kramer eating a big burger at halftime? 

We don’t even need a full panel, just get 2, maybe 3 entertaining, knowledgeable people (Lapo and a host, Laura or someone else) and let them talk for halftime and pre/postgame while showing highlights and player interviews, something like ESPN used to have with Chris Berman and Tom Jackson would be better suited for CFL. 

TSN is trying to do it like NBC/FOX do with the network pregame shows and FNIA stuff, but the NFL has a dozen or more games every Sunday to talk about.

You don’t need a 5 person roundtable to talk for half an hour before every game in a 9 team league. Save the panel for a weekly preview show on Wednesday nights or something. 

I’m guessing that Barker was originally picked to provide a coach’s opinion plus he is an Eastern Division voice. 
Lapolice gives you the first piece in spades, so dump Barker and move Lapo away from The absolutely embarrassing kids table and onto the main panel. 
It’s too bad that the CFL doesn’t have any insiders that are able/willing to provide insight as that would be money. 

Edited by Pete Catan's Ghost
Spelling

Just now, Pete Catan's Ghost said:

I’m guessing that Barker was originally picked to provide a coach’s opinion plus he is an Eastern Division voice. 
Lapolice gives you the first piece in spades, so dump Barker and move Lapo away from The absolutely embarrassing kids table and onto the main panel. 

Lapo should be the featured analyst for as long as he wants the job. There’s no better in the business right now. 

I’d dump Barker, Milt (love the guy but he’s awful on the show) and Kate, move Matty to the booth permanently to pair with Marshall Ferguson (I feel that would provide a better contrast than Marshall/Forde) 

I’d keep Sanchez though, he’s ok to listen to when he’s more toned down on podcasts, he can be fairly insightful when he’s not doing the arguing schtick with Milt. 

Laura Diakun as host/Lapo with a coaches perspective/Sanchez with a players perspective would be the best out of who they have right now. 

Please get rid of Barker, Milt and Sanchez. None offer any insight into the game. I like Kate, but it doesn't really matter who hosts, so long as all the rest of the panel is gone. Keep Lapo to provide real analysis. 

But, this would require TSN to put some thought and effort into their broadcasts. And, we know they won't do that. 

I like Sanchez...and if allowed to just do his players/perspective and analysis and not have to have a pre-determined opponent on the panel he'd be just fine

Barker just blabs on and on and for every actual good nugget he actually gives...he gives 10 wtf ones

Lapo is the star of the group and if TSN was smart they would have him there with a segment each week, or better yet give him a half hour CFL show a week...

Dunnigan is good, and at times you can tell he is frustrated with the other panel members....But I'd love to see him permanent in the booth as his unique way of doing games is gold.....

Kate is fake....half time doesn't have a clue of what/why and for most part is under the impression it's the Kate Bierness comedy hour...and it's just sad to watch....she is not supposed to take the lead and be the feature but seems like she is trying...or the production team is wanting that....she needs to throw to the game....initiate discussion between the panel members.....and let "them" discuss....her 2 cents are not required and are garbage..

Milt...meh...when he is being serious and actually talking football he is good....but when they do the differing opinion on things...and the stupid skits...it's bad...tho I am sure he is told to be that way so is it his fault?

TSN needs to clean up their act across the board from production....in game production...replays...graphics....and get rid of some of the play by play and color guys...as they are outdated and just not good...Suitor...Smith...

They should have a Forde/Lapo team....Ferguson/Dunnigan and find a guy for Neilson...maybe BLM?....but someone who has played and is well spoken

11 minutes ago, Booch said:

I like Sanchez...and if allowed to just do his players/perspective and analysis and not have to have a pre-determined opponent on the panel he'd be just fine

Barker just blabs on and on and for every actual good nugget he actually gives...he gives 10 wtf ones

Lapo is the star of the group and if TSN was smart they would have him there with a segment each week, or better yet give him a half hour CFL show a week...

Dunnigan is good, and at times you can tell he is frustrated with the other panel members....But I'd love to see him permanent in the booth as his unique way of doing games is gold.....

Kate is fake....half time doesn't have a clue of what/why and for most part is under the impression it's the Kate Bierness comedy hour...and it's just sad to watch....she is not supposed to take the lead and be the feature but seems like she is trying...or the production team is wanting that....she needs to throw to the game....initiate discussion between the panel members.....and let "them" discuss....her 2 cents are not required and are garbage..

Milt...meh...when he is being serious and actually talking football he is good....but when they do the differing opinion on things...and the stupid skits...it's bad...tho I am sure he is told to be that way so is it his fault?

TSN needs to clean up their act across the board from production....in game production...replays...graphics....and get rid of some of the play by play and color guys...as they are outdated and just not good...Suitor...Smith...

They should have a Forde/Lapo team....Ferguson/Dunnigan and find a guy for Neilson...maybe BLM?....but someone who has played and is well spoken

Really good point, the key is production. You could have the most insightful people in the world, but when they’re told to be “personalities” above all else it won’t matter. 

TSN could have Don Wittman in his prime and they’d have him eating poutine and playing an inflatable banjo. 

Agree 100% on the graphics, replays ect. They’re stuck in 2006. 

Edited by JohnnyAbonny

3 minutes ago, JohnnyAbonny said:

Really good point, the key is production. You could have the most insightful people in the world, but when they’re told to be “personalities” above all else it won’t matter. 

TSN could have Don Wittman in his prime and they’d have him eating poutine and playing an inflatable banjo. 

Agree 100% on the graphics, replays ect. They’re stuck in 2006. 

Production there....or lack there of it is so bad....and whats making TSN look inferior

Hopefully the CFL takes things in their own hands and peddles some games around to others....if for anything making TSN pick up their end and be better.....much better

Tsn falls into the oh so American trap of thinking they need to provide entertainment besides the game. Beirness I never minded on sports centre but there clownshow of a panel they have is just awful. Not everyone needs to be the class clown. Just be professional and moderate the actual personalities. 

Milt was always the class clown and he is useless on the panel because they're all trying to ham it up. Barker can take his LOUD NOISES and get the **** gone any time.

5 hours ago, 17to85 said:

Tsn falls into the oh so American trap of thinking they need to provide entertainment besides the game. Beirness I never minded on sports centre but there clownshow of a panel they have is just awful. Not everyone needs to be the class clown. Just be professional and moderate the actual personalities. 

Milt was always the class clown and he is useless on the panel because they're all trying to ham it up. Barker can take his LOUD NOISES and get the **** gone any time.

Exactly.

Different sport but every panel wants to be Inside the NBA. It works for Inside the NBA because they're themselves.

Overall TSN needs to improve..it's not just the panel it's the skits the play by play the interviews etc.

My 2cents...

We need new blood and bit of a new spin on the play by play, the stories and conversations etc. have gone too far, they IMO almost overwhelm the broadcast. A quick fact or two or a story line adds to a broadcast but it's overdone as it is now

We need more insight/knowledge on the play by play, not just Suitor saying some basic insight like they may want to gamble on 3rd here. We should get some actual analytics etc. to go with it

Interviews are great, but TSN is terrible at timing them and many are awkward ala our Grey Cup country star

The panel needs to have fun, I get it, but it's forced goofiness that's over the top, have some fun but tone it down a few levels. 

Spend more time IMO on the game and stats, analytics, coaching insights, standings etc. and without the screaming 

Finally improve the replays, and when we have a challenge work with the CFL to have some reasoning, the back off a couple guys heads is terrible TV

7 minutes ago, 3rdand1.5 said:

We need more insight/knowledge on the play by play, not just Suitor saying some basic insight like they may want to gamble on 3rd here. We should get some actual analytics etc. to go with it

Yeah Dunigan for as much as he will just fanboi out over plays still has that qb eye and he tells you what the qb saw to make the play happen. Lapo is good at explaining how it worked too. Guys like suitor are just clownshoes. The most basic catchphrases "that'll move the chains!" And sticks to the predetermined story line of the night at all costs even if the game is going in a totally different direction.

26 minutes ago, 3rdand1.5 said:

Overall TSN needs to improve..it's not just the panel it's the skits the play by play the interviews etc.

My 2cents...

We need new blood and bit of a new spin on the play by play, the stories and conversations etc. have gone too far, they IMO almost overwhelm the broadcast. A quick fact or two or a story line adds to a broadcast but it's overdone as it is now

Interviews are great, but TSN is terrible at timing them and many are awkward ala our Grey Cup country star

The panel needs to have fun, I get it, but it's forced goofiness that's over the top, have some fun but tone it down a few levels. 

Spend more time IMO on the game and stats, analytics, coaching insights, standings etc. and without the screaming 

Finally improve the replays, and when we have a challenge work with the CFL to have some reasoning, the back off a couple guys heads is terrible TV

agree....and thats what Lapo brings...explains the reasoning behind certain moves/plays....and why/how they are designed

Suitor add's absolutely nothing....we need more Lapo's....and Zero Suitor's....he has ran his course

Play by Play guys too....Ferguson I think is already good...gettiong better and add's knowledge and unbiased play calling for most part...Neilson if paired with a Lapo or a similar guy...would do wonders for him as well...with Suitor he just gets side tracked and led into pointless babble

The big issue tho is the production aspect...lame...old...recycled...and definately not at the fore front of anything...let alone cutting edge...this needs to change asap

25 minutes ago, 3rdand1.5 said:

Keith Urban the country star and the awkwardness with Suitor after half time a couple years ago....I'm sure someone on here must have that video clip....it was bad

its was...embarrassing...and sad....definitely cringe worthy

Even last week with that unkown country singing kid....who effin cares...focus on the game

Even the Orange shirt game...Yeah I get it...they wanna talk about it...etc..etc....well put together a nice pre-game vignette or some actual feature...not during the game while it was actually in play...as we scored a beauty of a TD....Thats just bush league...99.9% of the viewers tune in to watch the game...get some interesting stats and knowledgeable insight...some to even better understand the game....not to see Suitor ooze in his pants over a country singer...a sideline interview with anyone not related to the game being played....or any other stupid skit they do ...Do a pregame show each game with that all in it...not the garbage that Kate and Co. attempt

35 minutes ago, 3rdand1.5 said:

My 2cents...

And this trend over the last while of showing less replays is bizarre to me. It's a staple to keep the viewer engaged unless of course I'm missing some sort of complexity.

3 minutes ago, HardCoreBlue said:

And this trend over the last while of showing less replays is bizarre to me. It's a staple to keep the viewer engaged unless of course I'm missing some sort of complexity.

lately a lot of the time now...even right after a play they don't even show the field....and aren't talking about what's going on...more times than not you have no clue a guy was injured...let alone helped off the field....heaven forbid we get any decent replays of a play/penalty/challenge....inexcusable really

4 minutes ago, Booch said:

lately a lot of the time now...even right after a play they don't even show the field....and aren't talking about what's going on...more times than not you have no clue a guy was injured...let alone helped off the field....heaven forbid we get any decent replays of a play/penalty/challenge....inexcusable really

At times, its like the actual game is getting in their way, being a nuisance of what they're wanting to focus on.

if I were boss of TSN and had unlimited power and budget:

1. Simulcast an all-24 view of the field.

2. Kill TSN Tempo. Broadcast needs to have a better sense for when the O is going tempo -- abort the replay and stick with live action.  If you don't replay a big play right away, that's okay -- there's the spare time coming out of commercial for those highlights.

3. Personnel:  On the panel, I don't think the problem is bad players, I think the problem is coaching.  Whoever is responsible for setting the tone of the panel should be gone. I don't mind some jokiness and levity, I don't need the halftime to be a state funeral, but none of those folks is an actual funny person, and they should leave the funny business to actual comedians. In particular, Jim Barker is a guy who has coached professionally for decades. He should have endless freaking insight to offer but instead here he is the weakest link on a weak panel; they've got him doing this cringey loud uncle thing, made all the worse by his voice, which is more suited for silent movies than for TV commentary.  Muamba stays, Sanchez stays -- we gotta have the D represented on the panel.  I don't mind Milt.  I don't mind Kate Beirness; I think she's fine. I don't even mind Farhan with has very strong "we don't want to pay to fly someone else out to the west coast so we'll just hire this local homer" energy.  But please do cut Suitor and replace him with BLM. 

4. I actually kind of like Straight Fire. I would've loved to have Milt as my hype man when I was playing touch football in Ottawa.  But make it less cringey please.

5. Obvious one: Absolutely no interviews during game action.  I don't care if it's the Pope or the Devil or the angry ghost of Sinead O'Connor -- if the special guest is performing / being honored at halftime, then veer away from the panel and show them doing their thing at halftime along with contextualizing remarks from the hosts.  The interview of Grand Chief Settee  during the Elks game was super awkward.  "Today is a solemn day of remembrance and can you talk more about th---OOOOH hang on, Keric Wheatfall is gone!  Touchdown!" 

6. "Watch The Playoffs With Lapo" contest.  I'm weird but I would love to hang with Lapo and listen to him dissect a game continuously in real time. I'll bring donuts, beer, poutine, whatever.  If they're not going to have him in the booth every weekend, at least get some other significant use out of him.

7. Commentators have to be on top of substitutions and alignments. It happens all the time where someone leaves the game due to an injury and there's no remarks about who has subbed in and how it will impact the game play -- you only get that in exceptional circumstances where a team is down to its emergency OL or is juggling its secondary to hide its backups. There was a recent game with Micah Johnson playing emergency OL for the Roughriders.  I really dug the iso on him and Suitor did some good work getting into how a the regular OL will try to help an emergency OL along.  Do more of this please.  Hell, do an iso package on a lineman every game.  Let's see a closeup on how Big Stan operates, or a package of Drew Dejarlais run blocks. 

8. Steal the "Block of the Game" idea from wbbfan's postgame threads.  Blocks should be celebrated much more than they are.  Recruit Vasectomy Manitoba as a sponsor; it's a natural.

9. obvious one 2: better balance of the game story with the game.  The beauty of sports is that you discover the game story as the game is played; you don't pre-decide it. 

Edited by johnzo

8 minutes ago, johnzo said:

if I were boss of TSN and had unlimited power and budget:

1. Simulcast an all-24 view of the field.

2. Kill TSN Tempo. Broadcast needs to have a better sense for when the O is going tempo and needs to abort the replay and stick with live action.  If you don't replay a big play right away, that's okay -- there's the spare time coming out of commercial for those highlights.

3. Personnel:  On the panel, I don't think the problem is bad players, I think the problem is coaching.  Whoever is responsible for setting the tone of the panel should be gone. I don't mind some jokiness and levity, I don't need the halftime to be a state funeral, but none of those folks is an actual funny person, and they should leave the funny business to actual comedians. In particular, Jim Barker is a guy who has coached professionally for decades. He should have endless freaking insight to offer but instead they've got him doing this cringey loud uncle thing, made all the worse by his voice, which is more suited for silent movies than for TV commentary.  Muamba stays, Sanchez stays -- we gotta have the D represented on the panel.  I don't mind Milt.  I don't mind Kate Beirness; I think she's fine.  Suitor out, BLM in as soon as he wants.  I don't even mind Farhan, but he has very strong "we don't want to pay to fly someone else out to the west coast" energy.

4. I actually kind of like Straight Fire. I would've loved to have Milt has my hype man when I was playing touch football in Ottawa.  But make it less cringey please.

5. Absolutely no interviews during game action.  I don't care if it's the Pope or the Devil or the angry ghost of Sinead O'Connor -- if the special guest is performing / being honored at halftime, then veer away from the panel and show them doing their thing at halftime along with contextualizing remarks from the hosts.  The interview of Grand Chief Settee  during the Elks game was super awkward.  "Today is a solemn day of remembrance and can you talk more about th---OOOOH hang on, Keric Wheatfall is gone!  Touchdown!" 

6. "Watch The Playoffs With Lapo" contest.  I'm weird but I would love to hang with Lapo and listen to him dissect a game continuously in real time. I'll bring donuts, beer, poutine, whatever.  If they're not going to have him in the booth every weekend, at least get some other significant use out of him.

7. Commentators have to be on top of substitutions and alignments. It happens all the time where someone leaves the game due to an injury and there's no remarks about who has subbed in and how it will impact the game play -- you only get that in exceptional circumstances where a team is down to its emergency OL or is juggling its secondary to hide its backups.

8. Better balance of the game story with the game.  The beauty of sports is that you discover the game story as the game is played; you don't pre-decide it.

you're hired!

I don't mind Kate. 

I'd get rid of Milt & Baker. Replace them both with PLAP. Sanchez or Muamba so we have 1 player and 1 coach. 

Matty can go to color. His enthusiasm for the game is contagious. I also like Ford and Ferguson. Replace the rest one a year with younger guys. 

I like the idea of Straight Fire, but stop the stupid screaming and just show the plays.  

Forced humor is worse than no humor. Talk about the game instead.

No interviews while the play is going on. Move them to the half time show.