Argos at Bombers Chat

@Yourface

Maybe there isn’t anything wrong with what you said, maybe there is. 

I suppose it’s (like officiating) subjective to the knowledge level of the one reading/making the comments. 

Call me an idiot all you want, I’m not the one suggesting there’s little difference between the skill level of NFL and CFL officiating. That was a ridiculous statement and deserved to be mocked. 

In addition, you’re probably trolling but if not, you’re really coming across as a horses ass, especially for a new poster. 

Edited by JohnnyAbonny

1 hour ago, Yourface said:

Don’t be an idiot. Nothing wrong with what I said. 

When you start calling other posters idiots .. there is something wrong with what you've said.  I would suggest you keep the discussion on the point you are trying to make and not make it personal.

1 hour ago, JohnnyAbonny said:

@Yourface

Maybe there isn’t anything wrong with what you said, maybe there is. 

I suppose it’s (like officiating) subjective to the knowledge level of the one reading/making the comments. 

Call me an idiot all you want, I’m not the one suggesting there’s little difference between the skill level of NFL and CFL officiating. That was a ridiculous statement and deserved to be mocked. 

In addition, you’re probably trolling but if not, you’re really coming across as a horses ass, especially for a new poster. 

OK I apologize for calling you an idiot. 

The point is, CFL refs are fine. The Command Centre on the other hand perhaps could use a revamp. They certainly seem to lack consistency and botch more calls than one would hope.

In this particular game however, there is nothing to complain about. A couple of borderline plays that could have gone either way, and that not one of us has the evidence to support overturning, is not worth getting worked up about.

Edited by Yourface

Just now, Yourface said:

The point is, CFL refs are fine. The Command Centre on the other hand perhaps could use a revamp. They certainly seem to botch more calls than one would hope.

In this particular game however, there is nothing to complain about. A couple of borderline plays that could have gone either way, and that not one of us has the evidence to support overturning, is not worth getting worked up about.

I think the CFL refs need far more training and pay. NFL Refs have off-season jobs, CFL Refs have in-season full time jobs, including gamedays sometimes. With the lack of training and time to concentrate on officiating, the skill level will never be close. 

I’d still say the oline play was by far the biggest factor in the Bombers losing that game, with missing 2 FGs being second. 

The third down call at the end I thought was wrong on the field, by rule, but (thanks to TSN) the camera angles couldn’t provide indisputable evidence to overturn. I have less of an issue with that one. 

However though. I’d argue that the Terry Wilson was over on goal line play was a horrendous call both on the field and by the command centre. You can see his helmet and the nose of the ball break the plane at 45:43 and again from closer at 46:37 of the video. I have an issue with this, as it completely changed momentum, and the dynamic of the entire game. This (imo) was a huge factor (but not the biggest) in the result of the game. 

Mike O’Shea himself had the same thoughts on the coaches show. Not even an implication, he flat out said “he was in”

O’Shea very, very rarely makes definitive statements like that, especially regarding officiating.
For example, he demurred in the same situation when DT had asked him about the terrible non-PI call at the end of the (other) Argo game and to me, that call was even more blatantly incorrect.

Pretty telling imo 

8 minutes ago, Yourface said:

The point is, CFL refs are fine. The Command Centre on the other hand perhaps could use a revamp. They certainly seem to lack consistency and botch more calls than one would hope.

On a Winnipeg Blue Bomber fan site comprised of some pretty hardcore lifelong unwavering Blue Bomber supporters who for the most part understand the game at varying levels and acknowledge when homerism is influencing their perspectives, you come in hot and fairly aggressively tell people to calm down there is nothing to complain about. Then predictably when you get push back from those aggressive comments you clutch your pearls and make comments that the world would be such a better place if we could all be a bit more objective like you and for us to know how you post with integrity. This approach frustrates me greatly and not just for sports it is the main reason imho that our political threads here have been locked down.

Feel free to hit the rolly eye or confused emoticon.

Go Bombers.

23 minutes ago, JohnnyAbonny said:

I’d argue that the Terry Wilson was over on goal line play was a horrendous call both on the field and by the command centre. You can see his helmet and the nose of the ball break the plane at 45:43 and again from closer at 46:37 of the video. I have an issue with this, as it completely changed momentum, and the dynamic of the entire game. This (imo) was a huge factor (but not the biggest) in the result of the game. 

Mike O’Shea himself had the same thoughts on the coaches show. Not even an implication, he flat out said “he was in”

O’Shea very, very rarely makes definitive statements like that, especially regarding officiating.
For example, he demurred in the same situation when DT had asked him about the terrible non-PI call at the end of the (other) Argo game and to me, that call was even more blatantly incorrect.

Pretty telling imo 

Interesting take. I don’t see any evidence that Wilson crossed the line, personally. Maybe he did, but I don’t see how it could have been overturned based on the video we saw. 🤷 

23 minutes ago, HardCoreBlue said:

On a Winnipeg Blue Bomber fan site comprised of some pretty hardcore lifelong unwavering Blue Bomber supporters who for the most part understand the game at varying levels and acknowledge when homerism is influencing their perspectives, you come in hot and fairly aggressively tell people to calm down there is nothing to complain about. Then predictably when you get push back from those aggressive comments you clutch your pearls and make comments that the world would be such a better place if we could all be a bit more objective like you and for us to know how you post with integrity. This approach frustrates me greatly and not just for sports it is the main reason imho that our political threads here have been locked down.

Feel free to hit the rolly eye or confused emoticon.

Go Bombers.

I understand where you are coming from. Perhaps I got a little agressive in defending my point of view.

Refs make mistakes that directly lead to points (or points taken away) it's a pretty big deal.  Consider our 2 games against the Argos which could likely be the difference between hosting the West Semi or the West Final.  Consider the Ottawa-Sask game that ended in a tie that was a complete clusterfuck of officiating errors in the OT.

Kind of the entire reason that the Command Centre exists.

If they can't calibrate to have the Command Centre intervene and make the right call with everything at their disposal these days, get rid of it and let the refs on the field know they have to do a better job because they have no margin for error (the CC isn't going to intervene to fix their mistakes).

29 minutes ago, Yourface said:

Interesting take. I don’t see any evidence that Wilson crossed the line, personally. Maybe he did, but I don’t see how it could have been overturned based on the video we saw. 🤷 

If you pause at 45:47 the ball is pretty clearly in.  Ball just has to touch the front of the plane.  He doesn't have to stay in, he just has to break plane with ball once.

Same time right down the line on replay at 46:42.  If 25 can't see the ball there he's not looking in the right spot.  CC needs to be able to make that call though.

25 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

If you pause at 45:47 the ball is pretty clearly in.  Ball just has to touch the front of the plane.  He doesn't have to stay in, he just has to break plane with ball once.

Same time right down the line on replay at 46:42.  If 25 can't see the ball there he's not looking in the right spot.  CC needs to be able to make that call though.

Ok I had to look at the second angle you mentioned about 10 times (the first angle is somewhat useless), but I think you’re right. That may very well be a botched call by the Command Centre.