The Environment Thread

Wanna-B-Fanboy

A Southern California man has been arrested on suspicion of smuggling refrigerants into the U.S. from Mexico. Federal prosecutors say he’s the first person to be charged with violating regulations intended to curb the use of greenhouse gases. https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/california-man-first-us-charged-smuggling-greenhouse-gases-prosecutors-rcna141811

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The National Center of Meteorology, a government task force responsible for cloud seeding missions in the United Arab Emirates, says it had not carried out the weather modification technique in the run-up to the heavy storms that caused flooding in Dubai. https://www.nbcnews.com/science/environment/dubai-united-arab-emirates-cloud-seeding-rain-floods-rcna148263

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
5 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Sharks in the waters off Brazil have tested positive for cocaine, marine biologists said in a new study, marking the first time the drug has been found in the predators. https://cbsn.ws/4bUThzw

You know there is a terrible movie coming soon about this... 

If 2024 gave us Godzilla x Kong, maybe we see Cocaine Bear x Sharknado in 2025?

The Town of Jasper is on fire. I watched reports on Global TV Calgary this evening. Some on social media like Warren Kinsella are blaming Danielle Smith & the UCP but this is a town within a National Park. Jasper National Park was ravaged by the Mountain Pine Beetles in the past decade.

A friend of mine who is an actual firefighter on the scene said tonight on his Facebook page that Parks Canada policy was that no dead trees be removed so the town didn't even have a fire break to shield the town from danger. They just let the tinder dry dead trees lay where they fell or stood as per Parks Canada policy.. These millions of dead trees would have been like adding gasoline to the fire!

For privacy reasons, I won't publish my friend's name as he isn't a member here but this is what he had to say...

They could have logged all of those Mountain Pine Beetle infected trees but NP policy dictates that no logging is allowed within National Park boundaries. They had the chance to mitigate this disaster but chose not to even though they knew what was eventually to come and now here it is

Edited by SpeedFlex27

8 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

The Town of Jasper is on fire. I watched reports on Global TV Calgary this evening. Some on social media like Warren Kinsella are blaming Danielle Smith & the UCP but this is a town within a National Park. Jasper National Park was ravaged by the Mountain Pine Beetles in the past decade.

A friend of mine who is an actual firefighter on the scene said tonight on his Facebook page that Parks Canada policy was that no dead trees be removed so the town didn't even have a fire break to shield the town from danger. They just let the tinder dry dead trees lay where they fell or stood as per Parks Canada policy.. These millions of dead trees would have been like adding gasoline to the fire!

For privacy reasons, I won't publish my friend's name as he isn't a member here but this is what he had to say...

They could have logged all of those Mountain Pine Beetle infected trees but NP policy dictates that no logging is allowed within National Park boundaries. They had the chance to mitigate this disaster but chose not to even though they knew what was eventually to come and now here it is

Does not help they reduced the fire fighting budget.

39 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Does not help they reduced the fire fighting budget.

Not to be political, but this province is run by morons who believe the fires are caused by arson and not climate change. Backwards hillbillies.

1 hour ago, Noeller said:

Not to be political, but this province is run by morons who believe the fires are caused by arson and not climate change. Backwards hillbillies.

Or who won't acknowledge that climate change has created the conditions for fires to start more readily and burn hotter and faster than they have previously.

I mean these two things can be true .. arsonists set fires but climate change makes these fires so much more deadly and destructive.

• 3 weeks later...